• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Lindows won't appeal to Linux users who miss Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cullam3n

http://www.msnbc.com/news/813350.asp?cp1=1

That's all you need to read. Scroll down a bit:

"Lindows 2.0 comes with Netscape as the default browser, an e-mail program that does AOL e-mail, and Netscape instant messaging that runs on AOL’s AIM and ICQ services. Are you seeing a pattern here? Lindows has a new agreement with AOL to run AOL software on the OS."

Umm.... No. Not for me.

-PC

If you scroll down a bit more you can see that Lindows has WINE built into it, but it still isn't worth it.

-PC

eh lindows ... oh yea that thing, phhh it was supremely stupid of them to think that they could make a complete windows compatable os for which developers have spent 8 years on. It will take them a long time to get that working well. wherent they charging like 200 for it? er or was that lycors I get these psudo windows rip offs so confused ne way I run just fine w/o it ok printing is a little hard .... er real hard. Besides those os's are supposed to be for the idiots or uh people who dont know what their doing er normal people.

of course there are many standards for a normal person lets just say for argument sake a "narmal person" is one with morals and buys software and is not completely tech savvy

Well, in my opinion you are getting ripped off if you buy this. For this combination is much better (and free!):

redhat + wine

-PC

That thing is the embodiment of PURE EVIL!!!!

How could they dare combine AOL with Linux... bas**rd hybrid!!

Stangest and most amusing thing is that you still can not use AOL as an ISP as they do not support Linux.

The Lindows announcement is nothing shocking or newsworth imho, they are just blowing PR smoke as heard as they can.. I mean what distro does not ship with Netscape / Mozilla and Open souce messaging these days ?

Back