• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why must rewritables be burned slower?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Just curious. I mean, why does a regular CD-R get burned at 40x, but the average CD-RW would be burned at 12x. I know they've recently been upped to 24x, but that's still half the average burning speed for CD-R's. Why is it this way?

Namagomi said:
My guess is you're using bad media.

bad media has nothing to do with the cd-rw burning technology... i suppose it is so the drive makers still have something to sell to people... if they released all their technology at once, then they'd make a whole lot less than if they did it all slowly... it's just like processors... why would they jump from 1 GHz to 2 GHz when they can see so many more chips between there?

the reason its slower is because the media is a totally different composition. the metals used in a cdrw different than in a regular cd.

heh .. i use CDRW a lot for presentation and college stuff .. and burning 700 mb in 12x is a pain in the neck .. many times I end up using normal CDR .. heck .. they're cheap :)

mbentley said:

bad media has nothing to do with the cd-rw burning technology... i suppose it is so the drive makers still have something to sell to people... if they released all their technology at once, then they'd make a whole lot less than if they did it all slowly... it's just like processors... why would they jump from 1 GHz to 2 GHz when they can see so many more chips between there?

Ah I wish they didn't do that. They should just look into getting more research done for faster/better products. I'm sure they'll still make a profit, due to the fact that they'd have a varied setup of products. Oh well, maybe I should take economics instead of drawing classes ;)

Originally posted by Maxvla
the reason its slower is because the media is a totally different composition. the metals used in a cdrw different than in a regular cd.

Well, I like that explaination better, though I'm sure they could still burn them faster if they really wanted to.

Originally posted by Kid Payne
So you burn your CDRWs in 40X?

lol...I would like to see what burner would do that ;)

Maxvla said:

This is totally true !!
There is no higher speed CDRW media , in few years who knows ..

also i believe the lasers in the rw drives are cooler temperature because you don't want to burn it permanently. which takes longer to burn the data since its cooler.

Tipycol said:
Well, I like that explaination better, though I'm sure they could still burn them faster if they really wanted to.
i'm sure they could. everyone seems to be happy with 24x so they aren't really pushing it.

supplement to the explanation you prefered is just above this post. which is even more of the reason of why its slower.

Back