• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why my system gets hotter and hotter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gilgamesh

I don't know why but my system was fine when i've just built it about 38 C load and now is going up and up today i've reached 47 C. I have a thermalright sk6 and two case fans i have no time for major upgrades now but i don't know whats going on since i haven't done anything but the thing is getting hotter and hotter.

It could be that your system is getting dusty and messing around with airflow. Have your room temps increased?

Have you tampered inside the case?

Your ambient must have went up or something possibly from weather I'm guessing, as mentioned above. Another thing is tampering inside the case. You can reapply the thermal compound. Make sure the HSF is on tight, the clips on tight so the fan doesn't vibrate..

Another thing that raises my temp is turning on the light bulbs. I have two 100watts... Adds a few degrees when I need better light to do homework.

Yodums

I think is the dust since the temperature remains the same, its hotter outside but i've turnned on the AC, is not at its max cooling power but when it gets hotter i'm gonna have my room like a meat locker since i don't pay electricity bill in this apartments:D :D :D

Gilgamesh, you could build a water chiller for your system
connected to the air conditioning system!!:D

Tecumseh said:
Gilgamesh, you could build a water chiller for your system
connected to the air conditioning system!!:D
It will be nice to go to a pawnshop and get some old AC and turn it into a cooling device, but i have to do some research, it will be nice though.

I replaced my Thermalright SK-6 with the AOC D5-825 . The differences were very noticable. Two reasons why were the Aluminum fins were open at the top and bottom. The other reason probably was the 80MM fan. The AOC is also UNHEARABLE. The SK-6 ships with a weasel, whiney, high reving and loud Delta 60MM fan. The SK-6 also has closed fins all the way around. At last glance the AOC was available from newegg.com at a unbelievable 8 bucks! One minor gripe I have is the complete assembly comes fully assembled which means you may have to disassemble the grill and the fan to get it mounted to the mobo. To get to the fan you have to have a wee little phillips screwdriver to go through the holes of the fan.
You should also know I modded my case bottom and cut out 2 holes on bottom case and mounted 2 80MM manually adjustable fans (set at lowest RPMs) and raised the case off of the floor by 3 inches (used old fashion U shaped PC stand). The case came with 2 other 90MM fans one mounted laterally (pointed at CPU) and the other is mounted dead top center (exhaust). With the room Temps at around 68-70 degs F my CPU is 34 degs C and the System is 28 degs C (IDLE). One other matter: the AOC says up to 1.5 GHZ but I went way beyond this without any heat problems including the CPU stability test. At full load the CPU goes only to 38 degs C and the System stays at 28 degs C.
AOC D5-825 heatsink & 80MM fan
CRUCIAL 256MB DDR PC 2100
ARTIC SILVER
LEADTEK GE2 MX200 AGP
MAXTOR 30GB ATA-66 7200RPM
SYQUEST 1GB Drive (have too many carts to quit)
TDK 121032 CD burner
LI-AN REMOVABLE HD rack & tray
(Free Program):MBM5 (mobo monitor under Windows)
("): RAIN (Fastest program from full CPU load to return to IDLE)

Anyways i ordered a PAL8045, i have two intake fans, probably gonna cut a hole on the top for a exhaust one nad some on the bottom for intake because it is more preferable to have higher preasure inside the case. Now with the case open i droped 6 C but the sound of the Delta fan is unbearable sucks can't wait longer for the pal and 80mn fan.
Thx for your advice :beer:

Oh one other thing Gilgamesh. I suggest that perhaps you have developed a "gap" between the heatsink and the CPU. One way of telling this is to get a small mirror place it on oneside while flashing a flashlight on the other. Another issue is the 3 pin molex connector that the heatsink fan is connected to. One question: the SK-6 ships with a "thermal pad". Did you put this on? I didnt. I used Artic Silver.
ec.

man this sucks, mine is raising really bad too. today i was
at 45 at IDLE!!!! i dont even wanna think about folding.
im using a glaciator II, lapped using the hooter technique.

no changes made at all. im really dissapointed, i jsut added
my new D740x maxtor and can't overclock because of these
temps.

a month ago

22C case temp
35C idle, 42C load CPU

now

30C case temp
45 IDLE, 54 load CPU

my case side is open, with a a about 150+ CFM fan blowing
straight into it, raped from an air conditioner.

any help would be greatly appreciated, my wires are all
nice and tidy and nothing ahs been changed from a month ago.

I'm using artic silver 2 since the white thermal grease is dangerous. Only a "Dell Dude Uses White Grease"

Have you guys checked for excess dust bunnies on your HSF? My temps were rising also after a while and I gave my entire system a good sweep from dust and my old temps were restored.

Dust is the problem, I have to clean the SK-6 out in the second system on a monthly basis. One way to check is to place your hand close to the "Cpu Fan" if you feel air blowing toward you then dust has clogged the fins on the SK-6.
Hmm, time to make a filter out of scotch brite pad :)

Rick

I wonder if I have a collection of dust. How often do you guys clean out your system for dust?

What you could do to lower CPU temps is use a direct duct right to the heatsink. That way there's direct airflow. I'm going to do this in the near future.

Back