• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why not RAID 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Headstand

Boot will be SSD, I have a WD160 for other apps and then I have two WD500s.

My question is why not setup the two 500s as RAID1 for all my backup(ie photos, music, important files...) I keep reading about it and everything says do not use RAID1 as an indef backup. If 1 drive fails on RAID1, the second drive is still fully useable, correct? Wife takes a lot of pic of the family and other stuff and I figured I had the two drives, why not.

Thanks in advance.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
RAID by itself is not backup. If a file is deleted (accident, program initiated, etc), the file is gone; meaning that isn't a "backup".

If you actually backup (with a program, batch copy, w/e) to the RAID, that would be fine. I store "My Documents" locally, but I have a program to copy it out to a folder on the server nightly. It backs it up to a RAID array for high availability and less chance of data loss. In my case, my entire computer could fail and I would still have "My Documents" on the server.

OP
H

Headstand

thideras, I see what you are saying, and I may get a program for that, but we won't access the array for the most part. Wife transfers the files to her laptop to choose the ones to edit or print, then gives me all the pictures and I store them on the desktop. I understand they can be deleted, but %99.99999 she doesn't touch MY COMPUTER :)

But, if I get some sort of backup program, does it write a backup file which I will then strore on the array? I have never done a soft backup, it was always servers onto tape.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
I run OS-driven RAID 1 with two of my server's hard drives, it hasn't given me troubles yet and performance is good enough to stream media to devices such as the PS3 over wired LAN connections. RAID 1 is good for applications where downtime hurts, such as a server. Read performance of two drives in RAID 1 can be better then a single drive.

Last edited:

Automata

thideras, I see what you are saying, and I may get a program for that, but we won't access the array for the most part. Wife transfers the files to her laptop to choose the ones to edit or print, then gives me all the pictures and I store them on the desktop. I understand they can be deleted, but %99.99999 she doesn't touch MY COMPUTER :)

But, if I get some sort of backup program, does it write a backup file which I will then strore on the array? I have never done a soft backup, it was always servers onto tape.
For any OS, use rsync in tandem with another backup program. I use Delta Copy on all my Windows based clients and they connect/upload to the linux based file server (running an rsync server). Why Delta Copy? First, it is free; much cheaper than others. Second, it copies extremely fast after the first time because it doesn't actually copy all the files, just the "changes" (hence "Delta" Copy). Lastly, it is easy to setup and forget about it. ;)

You can do whatever with your backups. You can store them anywhere you want. If you want to put in on the RAID, you can.

==========================

As an example, I'll show you my setup:

On my computer, I have two folders that I backup: "My Documents" and "World of Warcraft". Every morning, at 1 AM, Delta Copy runs, which copies the changes of those two folders out to a specific folder on my server. It is NOT accessible by any of the Windows clients for security reasons (in case one gets a virus or I get those pesky "User Errors"). At noon the same day, a script on the server runs ANOTHER backup to an external drive on the server. That entire external drive is not visible by any clients.

Multiple clients backup to the server also, so it isn't just mine. Just simplifying it for demonstration purposes.

I have two methods of backup, the massive RAID array on the server and the external drive. If, by some terrible chance, three drives fail on the array, I still have my data. Along with "Delta Copy", I use Acronis True Image to make archives of my "World of Warcraft" folder in case something happens to the install or I want to retrieve old information. Every two weeks it makes a new full backup on the server's massive RAID array. This isn't needed unless you want to archive information.

Last edited:
OP
H

Headstand

WOW(not the game, the expression :) ) but I think your setup is overkill for me. I like it and would run it if I had the resources. I don't need archiving, it is mainly just for family pics(about 300GB right now) and quicken backup. I thought about backing up my music with it, but I have the actual CDs in a box in the attic anyway. I may try to use your idea on a smaller scale, but even with that it is hard to leave 1 PC on all night, let alone 2. I am going to look at Delta copy though.

Thanks

Automata

WOW(not the game, the expression :) ) but I think your setup is overkill for me. I like it and would run it if I had the resources. I don't need archiving, it is mainly just for family pics(about 300GB right now) and quicken backup. I thought about backing up my music with it, but I have the actual CDs in a box in the attic anyway. I may try to use your idea on a smaller scale, but even with that it is hard to leave 1 PC on all night, let alone 2. I am going to look at Delta copy though.

Thanks
The normal backup time if I don't make any huge changes to either folder is about 9 seconds. In those 9 seconds, it copies around 500 files to the server. The backup time will vary based on what you change, but it generally is extremely quick. You could probably run the backup during the day, I doubt you would notice. Then, there is no need for leaving the computers on all the time.

Yes, my setup is overkill. That is what the project is named after (link in sig).

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Even though some of us have rather overkill backup setups like thideras (and myself though not as extreme as his :p ) it doesn't mean you cant scale it down a great deal and still get what you need. Personally what I would do in your situation is either:

A) Put one drive in your server and get a USB caddy for the other and use it to backup the server files

B) use both in your server and do the RAID 1 like you are wanting then go buy an external hard drive to back up your server.

Even something simple like that will look like a saviour in shinning armor when something happens to the original drives. RAID is never a replacement for a good backup. EVER!