• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHY OH CRUEL WORLD!! [gripe and moan... in SETI! ^_^]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
This really sucks.... My AMD has been out of WUs for three days, my P4 hasn't been crunching units for the past two days, ozzlo is starting to run low on WUs, and now that I can get on the computer, my bro is using what little bandwith I have to download stuff.

Well, sorry team Morpheus, but I'm not exactly going to be much of a help for the next few days.... For some reason (allways some stupid reason), I haven't been able to get on the computer long enough to get online and let the cache fill. Sure wish my parents would allow me to leave the net on overnight, but that's a no no.

Mabey I should leave a sticky note on the computer so that when I wake up tommorow and do my daily 1.5 hour forum browse, I'll actually remember to fill the cache. :rolleyes: I think I'll do that now! :)

There... I've vented. Yet I don't feel much better. Anybody got some ‚·‚µ to cheer me up? :)

JigPu

Yikes!

JigPu! No! How many WUs do you need? Surely someone over here can ZIP up a pack and send them over - compressed WUs shouldn't take as long to transfer.

Yeah, but even compressed WUs would take too much time with my bro taking up the bandwith (evil 56K.... how I hate you some days :D) I just need to sleep and remember to download like mad tommorow.

Also, my software (SETIGate) dosen't correctly import WUs that are freshly downloaded from berkeley. It will only import ones that have been downloaded with it for some reason. I should write to the programmer about that...
JigPu

I've seen that before, but I really like the network caching options that SETIGate offers. I'd do SETIQueue, except that I've found it to be a bigger resource hog than SETIGate (which uses even less CPU time then SETISpy), and SETIGate is pretty simple to operate (where SETIQueue confused me for the first 10 minutes or so).

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, and won't change unless something big happens (like S@H2). Still gotta make that sticky note :rolleyes:

JigPu

bummer.... i feel your 56k pain, but im on pretty much 24/7 these days.
I love setistash, but it doesnt work well over a network, so ive just got a copy and cache stored on each machine.

2 tips:
a/ Have you considered setidriver ????

b/When I was using a modem (it is ADSL now for me), I used to set up the dial-up to disconnect after 5 min of inactivity. This way, when I was done with browsing, i would "transmit now" setidriver and leave it for the night. I would free up the phone after the transfer.

a) Yes, but I don't like it's use of multiple SETI folders to keep everything straight. I'm sure it works well, but I don't like seeing 50 S@H folders when I go into my main seti folder.

b) I've thought about doing that also, but my mom and dad refuse to allow the internet to stay on overnight (or any time we're away from home). I don't know why since we don't have and answering machine to pick up the calls..... But they're against it.

Feeling much better now that I've gone to sleep.... And slowly downloading some WUs.

JigPu

JigPu, do you have a local cable company that can offer broadband? That would clear up your "connection problems". And always remember if the parents dont like it, tell em youll pay for it by yourself (thats what I did and it works!)

I know what you will cheer you up:D

how would you like to upload the 110 wu I got done so far

[expression on jigpu's face] :temper: :bang head [/expression on jigpu's face]

ok so that may not be good news fo ya but maybe the fact that you still got about 3-4 days before i run out of wu (again)

MUST HAVE WORKUNITS :drool:

I use seti driver and never even look in the seti folder anymore. Heck, I don't even want to see the 1100 folders I have in my systems. And that will double and maybe triple before the end of seti 1. Just to make sure I have enough wu's till they quit accepting the data.:cool:

As I regularly moce WU from my work PC to my home I'm used to see lots of Folders in the SETI@home one....I don't mind them at all :D

Back