• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why set low multi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

I have seen alot of posts on people trying to get a lower multi while raising the FSB higher. Is this just one way of getting the FSB higher? But doesn't that make it about the same CPU speed as having a higher multi and a slightly lower FSB? I'm still in the learning process of overclocking so give me al lthe info you have.

OrionRU

higher FSB = more memory bandwidth and overall faster system

higher multi = just faster proc.

They both do the same thing for processor.

the hammer

wannaoc said:
I have seen alot of posts on people trying to get a lower multi while raising the FSB higher. Is this just one way of getting the FSB higher? But doesn't that make it about the same CPU speed as having a higher multi and a slightly lower FSB? I'm still in the learning process of overclocking so give me al lthe info you have.

The whole deal is to try to get the fsb as fast as possible so the data being sent to or from the CPU & Northbridge travels much faster. It allows a CPU to effectively do more work over time even though the CPU MHZ is still the same.

Hammer

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Overclocking 101

The point of lowering the multiplier is that the overall clockspeed will not limit your search for high FSB. Pretend your CPU can only do 2500MHz & you got a board that will allow you to run 250MHz/500FSB. With a default 13X Multiplier you have no chance of hitting 250MHz/500FSB. Why?

13 X 250 = 3250MHz

Your clockspeed limit. No chance in hell will you reach that clockspeed no matter what you do. Now lower the Multiplier to something that will let you reach the limit of the CPU & get your max FSB.

10 X 250 = 2500MHz

Just remember the basics;

Multiplier Factor X FSB = ClockSpeed
Heat Kills Speed

OP
wannaoc

wannaoc

Ah, it is becoming clearer now! What is the best way to try and find the limit of a proc, I have a 2800+ Barton. I currrently have it running at my sig setup because my board doesn't allow PCI/AGP locking. Once I get my new board I'll be off and running. :D