• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why should I care if my 5v is low?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itizme

For sure when we network machinery and remote peripherals we will use seperate power supplies, throw in a processor and motherboard and communicate instead of running long wires and such to maintain a good 5.04vdc to everything BUT, look at the extremely cheap connectors in a pc, I would love to change them if I had to, including the hard drives, roms whatever but I just cannot be bothered at all.
I admit it, my Enermax runs the [email protected] with a fluctuation of .01vdc. My puter runs just fine though, even with the cheap connectors to boot.
So for my info, why should I care about it, and if I should what should it be set at exactly within +or- .005vdc

Ohh, and is there a pot to tweak it with in most supplies? I think I will shut down the lights and fans and open my cooling power supply to check this one.
Couldn't do it, don't have a tamperproof phillips screwdriver at home.

juliendogg has it:)

It's not an issue for a lot of people, even some with the famed AMD/Epox/Enermax combination- mine was fine until I decided I had to hit 2Ghz with an XP1600!

As far as pots to adjust the 5v rail- I have heard that many psus DO have trimmers, but none of mine came with them. Luckily there is a pretty easy mod for a lot of Enermax units;)

The issue is most common with AMD chips: they are very sensitive to low 5v rails. I believe the cpu itself uses that as the source for its juice.

Epox mobos are known as some of the 5v hungriest boards around...

And Enermax has become known as an "iffy" proposition for a lot of people, especially AMD users with Epox boards.

Well, for me I am thinking of sticking to Unintel for the next processor, but the rig will be powered by Antec, will see if the ole true blue 480 runs the lighting and fans as well
Thanks for the AMD tip though, good to know

Back