• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why the heck would you spend $16 on a psu tester???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Why the heck would you spend $16 on a psu tester when you can make one for free???

Theirs:

Wonko The Sane

probably bcause most people don't know that a PS can be truned on by shorting the power good pin to the standby pin (pins may be wrong, but that's the idea).

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Novex said:
How did you do it? You plug in a wire into the holes and turn it on, is that how it works?

I bent some wire and stuck one end in the hole with the green wire and the other end into a black one next to it.

Novex

Registered
I was just looking at a psu that i have laying around and my colors for it are different from yours. I have the green in the same spot but I have 3 black wires to the right. Also it doesnt look like the wire is plugged into the wire next to the green. Might just be me though.

PsycoPhreak

well, just jumping the "power on" line to ground will turn on the PSU...but to get an acurate reading if you are testing one you have to load up the +5 line, thats why theirs costs $16...because it not only turns on the PSU, but loads it up at the same time. It is a bit expensive, but for those with no electrical knowledge, it's a decent tool for them...since it is already wired with a plug, the load and a LED...( although anyone can place a load on the +5 by using a resistor....4 ohm 10 watt i believe...i keep forgetting though...so don't quote me...heh heh )

Without a load on the +5, most ATX PSU's will either give inacurate results on testing or may even shut down if a load is placed on the +12.....

just my $.02....:D

Ugmore Baggage

I agree with psycophreak, plus if you were a tech, it would be easier in the long run to test power supplies with a foolproof tool. That way you always know you did it right without having to really "work". No guessing, no doubt.

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Novex said:
I was just looking at a psu that i have laying around and my colors for it are different from yours. I have the green in the same spot but I have 3 black wires to the right. Also it doesnt look like the wire is plugged into the wire next to the green. Might just be me though.

Sorry about that, I didn’t realize I scanned the back of it. Here’s a better pic. One end of the wire goes in the green (blue arrow) and the other end can go in any of the three black ones (red arrows). :)

stool

If the wires are different colors, it doesn't really matter. What you are looking for is pin 14 and any ground, like this;

plug.gif