• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why use 2 Moniters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

O.K>, I have the video card that will support two moniters, but , and this may sound silly, but why?
can you have two different windows open with two moniters running??

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
I think its great for web design...you could have one monitor at one resolution, and the other at a lower resolution to keep check that your site you are designing works even in low resolutions and still looks cool on high resolutions...

That and you can watch a DVD on one screen while typing a paper on the other without switching between the two...

Mike

Hookem

Graphics professionals also use dual monitors when using say Photshop...they use one monitor for the actual image they are working on and the second monitor for all the tool's and palates...nice not to have all that stuff up there in your image while you are working on it. :)

Tipycol

Oh yeah, does using two monitors affect a video card's performance during a game that'd allow two monitors?

Thanks

Tipycol

FarEast

Most Generous Member
Ok i have a Gainward GF4 4600ti Golden sample and i'm using a dual monitor system for video editing but i also watch DVD's and play games and it don't see any performance hits the only difference i saw was in my bank balance :D But to be honest if i wasn't using it for Video/photo editing i would only use 1 monitor.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
ive got two

i have a screen shot of my desktop on that post your desktop thread if you want to take a look

i like it alot

Wommalong

leathersmt said:
O.K>, I have the video card that will support two moniters, but , and this may sound silly, but why?
can you have two different windows open with two moniters running??

Yes, you could play a game/movie on one and surff the net, watch your temps, etc on the other:D You could also have the same image on both or have one image span across the two either from left ot right or top to bottem

Crash893

i forgot to mention that if you have more than one computer in your network you can have VNC run in full screen mode on the other monitor and its just like sititng infront of that computer really cool

mine is set with one agp card and one pci card so i cant do dvd's or vidows in both windows so that kinda is a draw back but i think its the best way to go if you got spare parts laying around

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
I have been using two since july (19" trini and 17" trini) and love it. I cant do without it now. I feel way too confined, almost clastrophobic :p. Its nice for webbrowsing (multiple pages), monitoring an IM conversation (or two), or watching a movie or video while web browsing or doing real work (yah right). Its nice for doing general windows work (file moving, viewing, ect) and generally its just cool. I mean, how can you NOT like to have double the screen space. Not very useful for games, but i dont think there is much performance hit (maybe a little).

ninthebin

I started using two not so long ago, its cool...my main use is to have winamp or something on second whilst ingame on the primary, so in games like sof2 (need a sepcial thin to make it minimize) you can just pop across and chnage playlist or whatever without stupid downloads etc...

performance hits werent registerable to the eye (if there even are any).

but I have done the dvd on the extention and working the other thing which I love :D

btw - anyone know how you get mirroring to work under a hardware accelerated environment?

Matthew1001

Two monitors is also popular with video production. When editing a video you will tend to need much more space then one monitor can provide. We have a video production box at our school with two monitors. I am of course banned from using it, because I'm not in video production. Sometimes if the tech guy isn't there I move the login screen back and forth between the monitors.

Krieger

I used to use two monitors while programming. Much like Video/HTML editing you have one with your code and have the app/intranet(internet) page in the other... or SQLServer... it tends to increase your productivity. One of my old bosses said that when we finished the project we were working on(I left before we finished) he would get two monitors for everyone because it sped up our development times.

ninthebin

does anyone here know how to use mirroring under a hardware accelerated environment cos everytime I try the second monitor goes into a standby mode once it has initiated into the hardware mode

Crash893

windows can support 9 monitors ( threw pci cards im not sure about the new dual head cards)