• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why wouldn't Nvidia make a GeForce 3 in different flavors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Akumu X

Don't get me wrong...
I'm not complaining at all!
But what made them go from 32 MBGeForce 2 MX 200
32 MB GeForce 2 MX (with DDR RAM)
32 MB GeForce 2 MX PCI
64 MB GeForce 2 MX 400
32 MB GeForce 2 GTS
64 MB GeForce 2 GTS
64 MB GeForce 2 Pro
64 MB GeForce 2 Ultra

to simply...

64 MB GeForce 3?

I doubt they are gonna make new flavors this far in.
Any theories?

I currently have a GeForce 2 MX and am GeForce 3 bound (at the end of this month) I can't wait.

They will be making a gf3 mx for sure.
Maybe a gf3 ultra but will probably just go to the nv 30 gpu.

No flavors is good for us. If all the G3s are as good as possible then the market will become flooded with basicaly the same card therefore lowering the price. Have you ever wondered how much more it costs to make an ultra vs gts or pro.... Im thinking about $1 Its all the same silicone right?

Give them time grasshoper, in the near future we will see all kinds of different setups for G3 from budget to performer. If they do it straight away its gonna kill the G2 market... obviously...

I think they have a Geforce Professional Graphics card the Quadro3 but I haven't seen anything out yet.

Well, for one thing, if they made an MX they couldn't charge outrageous prices for them.

What you need to realize is Nvidia is no longer on a 6 month development cycle. Yeah, they claim to be, but it's just B.S. Right now the GF3 is their high-end card, but they are using the GF2s as their lower end cards. In the past when a new card came out they phased the others out, they are no longer doing that. It's possible that R&D costs have just become too high for them to release inexpensive cards. In that case, Nvidia may be in trouble.

Theres only one reason why nVidia hasn't released different flavours of GeForce3. Because they want to make as much money as possible.

At the moment the GeForce3 is considered the flagship of nVidia's gfx cards. If they were to make say a cheap GeForce3MX that outperformed the GeForce GTS2 then sales in the GeForce2 would drop big time. Expect a variety of GeForce3's as soon as the GeForce2 sales plumet beyond a certain point.

Back