• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd crap..check this out..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[OC]Lucifer

I was goofing around in my 8KHA+'s soft menu tonight, and just for fun I set the core voltage to 1.85, fsb to 166, and multi to 6. I hit reset.. and for a while the monitor was dark. Thaen I pulled on the case side cover to open it, when suddenly the monitor came up. I looked at the monitor, and the post said AMD Thunderbird processor 1743mhz (166x10.5)! What the?!?! I thought the /5 PCI divisor was disabled on the 8kha+'s! But even wierder is that most applications do run faster, as if the system is running at 1.743g, but when I check XP system properties or H-Oda's WCPUID it says it is at 1.4g (and 266bus it says on WCPUID). But 3dmark's system info tool says it is at 1.4 too, but it says it is running at 166fsb. What the?!?! Am I really there?

OC-Master

[OC]Lucifer said:
I was goofing around in my 8KHA+'s soft menu tonight, and just for fun I set the core voltage to 1.85, fsb to 166, and multi to 6. I hit reset.. and for a while the monitor was dark. Thaen I pulled on the case side cover to open it, when suddenly the monitor came up. I looked at the monitor, and the post said AMD Thunderbird processor 1743mhz (166x10.5)! What the?!?! I thought the /5 PCI divisor was disabled on the 8kha+'s! But even wierder is that most applications do run faster, as if the system is running at 1.743g, but when I check XP system properties or H-Oda's WCPUID it says it is at 1.4g (and 266bus it says on WCPUID). But 3dmark's system info tool says it is at 1.4 too, but it says it is running at 166fsb. What the?!?! Am I really there?

This one is easy,

Whats really happening is your Bios is falsely missleading you and is also saying that your PC is running at 10.5X166 when its really running at 6X166.

Thankfully, WinCPUID does not LIE! :) and therefore told you the truth right away. If something was seriously wrong with WinCPUID, the program would have told you that it found the CPU parameters to be incorrect and it would ask you to insert the parameters accordingly to your CPUs specefications. What is really funny is that idea basically completely defeats the purpose of WinCPUID.

So all in all, your CPU is running at 6X166 and not 10.5X166. Even if your bios is telling your 10.5X166 (1743MHz), its lying and missleading to you.

OC-Master

OC-Master

I just noticed something else, your Thunderbird is running at 1743MHz 100% stable??

OMG, what are you doing to achieve that, hence I havnt heard of that kind of success with the CPU for a long long long time.

The highest I've heard of Thunderbirds going besides Atomics which was a screamer at 1.84GHz, was a 1.7GHz T-bird.

Um, I think Trancebear or somebody had a 1GHz athlon at 1.61GHz but that was watercooled.

OC-Master

OP
[OC]Lucifer

[OC]Lucifer

I dunno...

It is stable.. but I am getting mixed evidence to its clock speed as I described.. so Id say.. uh... maybe I am? Its running at 1.85v.. I also noticed that now in the bios that the +.25 +.5 +.75 and the +1 options on vcore are disabled, as if it is accepting 1.85 as the new default vcore. I can only go -.25v -.5v -.75v and -1v ? So, is there anyone that can tell me if Im really there?

NeoMoses

OK, to prove this, just run some Sandra CPU & memory benchmarks. Run at: 10.5*133, 8*166, and 10.5*166. See which is fastest. if the 10.5*166 is not the fastest, you're not really running at that speed. Then let us know what you find.

OP
[OC]Lucifer

[OC]Lucifer

Im not :(

I set it to 166x10.5.. same reading.. I set it to 200 x 7.. and it posted as A 2100 TBird!! (10.5x200) But I got the same bench results. So, it appears at above say 140fsb, it will post any speed, but run at 10.5x133. It would be great for false bragging rights. Hehe, but thats not what Im about. Im about real bragging rights :)