• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wierd mouse problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mr_kennedy

Registered
wierd lockups

I edited instead of starting a new thread.

I think i mentioned this below, but I will repeat up here. The main problem I'm having right now is that I get lockups during games. I've only tested a couple, and I will try more soon. The ones causing problems are Heroes 3 and Deus Ex, and I think Max Payne also, but the game is not important. Here's the issue. The game(s) lock(s) after about 20 minutes. Just a hard lock, no crash, no BSofD, just pow, nothing works, and the screen freezes.

I never had this problem before switching hdds. Long story short, I now have a 10 gig wd, ata66 5400rpm. I reinstalled windows over the current installation. I surface scanned the drive, no errors. I ran just about every fix that norton utilities has, and games still lock, windows does not. I also reinstalled my video card drivers. I'm considering a hard reformat since nothing else seems to work.

=============================
old post

Here's the problem. I own a microsoft intellimouse 3.0 (gray/black with the small side buttons). I've had it for about 3 months.

The problem I've had is that when the mouse is moved rapidly, it fails to track. When I flick my wrist and try to move the pointer accross the screen, it stays in the same place and moves back and forth. Again, only at high speeds.

I can think of two causes.

Hardware problem: The mouse is new, and should therefore work perfectly. However, in hauling it back and forth to lan parties or mabye dropping it, the optical sensor assembly was damaged, and that is the cause.
Solution: I have no idea.

Software problem: Here's where it gets interesting. Being in a bad mood over having a $50 mouse go bad, I said, forget it. I'll plug in my old logitech ball mouse from downstairs until I sort the problem out. After plugging in, booting up, I moved the mouse again. Success. I moved it faster. There it is. Same error. Since I get tracking problems with each mouse, the hardware is removed from the list of problems, so it must therefore be a software problem. Currently, the software installed came off of the disk included with the mouse.

I have not yet been able to track down the logitech mouse's drivers, and I will look again tomorrow. However, as it stands, I can't be sure that buying a new mouse is the answer.

Oh yeah, I was gonna mention, but forgot, I changed hard drives back to my old 10 gig WD and gave my brother back his maxtor. This might be contributing, but how I don't know. I have had other problems as well, namely random but consistent lockups in games, ie every time I play, within 20 minutes it hard locks and I have to reset. Only change is the HDD. I've reinstalled windows, and each offending program with no success. Next step is a hard windows reinstall (Changing directory names and stuff, i need to look up how), and after that the dreaded reformat, which I really don't want to do.

Any help is appreciated.

xp1700
epox 8kha+
radeon 64mb ddr
256 mb ddr
tdk 12/10/32
and the dreaded WD Caviar 10.1 gb

Last edited:
are these ps/2 mice or USB mice?
Because i have a logitech mouseman dual optical USB and if i have it plugged into the ps/2 port it does the same thing as yours. it turns out that the logitech utility gave me a warning that the resolution of the cameras on the mouse is hampered by the ps/2 ports low bandwidth. it required an adapter to plug into the ps/2 port, i just plugged it into the usb port and it works great, at high and low speeds.

I knew I left something out.

The logitech is about four years old, two buttons and a wheel. It is ps/2 only. The microsoft mouse is usb, but I use it with the included ps/2 adapter because I never really bothered to trouble shoot it and make it work.

If it helps, I use Win98.

As far as the mouse problem goes have you tried downloading the latest software from Microsoft or Logitech? If you are only getting lockups while playing those games then the problem is most likely not your mouse. You might want to try posting the problem in the games area.

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I'll try.
I had problem's with a ps/2 mouse and Windows 98 some time back. It would be jerky and slow. I finally noticed that it would act like this when the processor was working at a high or full load. You seem to have that problem when playing games, that's when your processor is working the hardest. I don't think there is much you can do about it. Now I am saying this about the ps/2 connection. It is a slower connection than usb. When I went to a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical (usb) the problem stopped, I think because of the faster connection speed. You need to work on getting that connection to work for you.
Now another thing you said was that you installed Windows over itself. Are you saying that you did NOT format before installing Windows again? If so, that's bad. Do a full format and a full install of Windows and get your usb to work.
Windows 98 is ok, but it is getting old now. You seem to have a nice system. I think you would benifit from having a more stable operating system like Windows XP. (or Windows 2000) If you own the copy of 98 and have the keycode, you can buy the upgrade version of XP and do a FULL install from it. Not just an upgrade. The upgrade version is only $99.
Good luck. :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

craigiz1 said:
Windows 98 is ok, but it is getting old now. You seem to have a nice system. I think you would benifit from having a more stable operating system like Windows XP. (or Windows 2000) If you own the copy of 98 and have the keycode, you can buy the upgrade version of XP and do a FULL install from it. Not just an upgrade. The upgrade version is only $99.
Good luck. :)
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

I second that...both parts.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Also, 98 is becoming very dated. At work, 98se is only sufficient. XP is my home OS and it works well. No problems that I know of, but I don't do a lot of games. I bought mine full version OEM for under a hundred. I use my mouse USB at home, but I have to use my work mouse PS/2 w/98.

Just a few thoughts. See you around!

be sir bump-no-more

well mr. kennedy-
welcome to the forums indeed!

.02:

I just switched my own optical over to USB before the last LAN party. That and the new Radeon 8500 make all the difference in the world.
Seriously, I started using USB, rather then ps/2 (it's more convenient anyway with XP), and I have had nothing less than mousy perfection.

BTW, AarontheJC and I looked for 98se, and we don't have it.

Same here. USB with XP but PS/2 under 98. I never tried running 98 with USB, though.

With Shmuck's comment about the CD:

Yeah, we looked, and couldn't find your se CD at my house. After the last LAN, I'm missing a CD of my own. Not a critical CD, but Mary would certainly kill me. Roller Coaster Tycoon is missing. Keep an eye out for it.

Oh yeah...WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! It's good to grab another one from the area. Now there are just two more and the core five will be completed...

Back