• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd Question About Heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfbain

Registered
Well I recently purchaced a Heatsink from:

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/cooling/cpu/cpu_cool/cpucool_478_index.htm

Well the shipping was great, the product looks reallly nice.

BUT, the pins on my motherboard, on either side of the heatsink are about 1" apart. (So, on the right side the two holes are 1" apart and the other the same).

My problem is that the Heatsinks holes are spaced 2" apart.
(as shown in the picture)

Is there anywhere where i can find one for the new one or any recommendations.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
That heatsink you bought is just a re-branded AVC sunflower, its a decent heatsink...I had one before I went to H2o cooling..

The real question here is, what kind of motherboard are you using? Is it for a socket 423 chip? That P4 has a different mobo/Heatsink configuration....the heatsink you bought is for a socket 478

OP
W

Wolfbain

Registered
Sorry forgot to post Motherboard: Its an Asus P4T, it is a 478 chip.

OP
W

Wolfbain

Registered
Well if no one can come up with any suggestions.

It would be great if someone could recommend something of similar like.

=) =) =) =) =) =)

Wolfbain

strokeside

Yuo sure it's an Asus P4T, I just looked it up on the Asus homepage, and the Mobo holes are the correct spacing apart.
The hole position you say your mobo has sounds like an AMD mobo hole design.

OP
W

Wolfbain

Registered
Yes I am sure.

I have the P4T not the P4T-E. The P4T is a 478 and the P4T-E is a 423 pin I believe.

****E, just started searching the Asus website to find out that I have a 423pin I guess. Not what i was told when i bought the board but guess i know now.

Anyone reccommend a Good heatsink for a 423pin.

Heres a piture of the pin placement.

SBeaver

Ouch! You say you have a 423 board but a 478 chip?
Guess there are conerters but cooling one with a converter under can't be that fun.
You certainly have a problem there if i understood you correctly

Enigma422

Wolfbain said:
Yes I am sure.

I have the P4T not the P4T-E. The P4T is a 478 and the P4T-E is a 423 pin I believe.

****E, just started searching the Asus website to find out that I have a 423pin I guess. Not what i was told when i bought the board but guess i know now.

Anyone reccommend a Good heatsink for a 423pin.

Heres a piture of the pin placement.

Unless you have an older Socket 423 CPU and don't plan on upgrading your CPU in the future, you better send that board back for a Socket 478 motherboard.

As for suggestions for Socket 423 HSF, if you do decide to keep this board, take a look at that blue HSF, forget the name exactly, from Thermaltake.

OP
W

Wolfbain

Registered
Ok, see i need to sort this out. HEHE

OK I have a 1.5Ghz P4 423pin (thought I had a 478, but since the board is 423 pin, I am assumming everything is)

My Motherboard is a P4T Which is a 423pin according to Asus Website.

I had ordered a new heatsinkfor a 478 Thinking I had a 478.

But guess I have a 423 pin and I am now looking to find a good fan, that looks cool, and is effective for a 423 pin. hehe

Thanks in Advance and for the help already given.

Wolfbain