• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wii it is. Any bargins on it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

The Significant Other wants a Wii. I argued for XBOX. I plead for PS3. But SO thinks the Wii is SOOO clever. So Wii it is.

Seems to be some price fixing going on. Everywhere it's $199.99 for the basic system + 1 remote, 1 nunchuk, and Wii sports. I assume I'll need a second remote and nunchuk?

I tend more to Oblivion type games. Anything vaguely like that exist for Wii?

Last edited:

FudgeNuggets

The Significant Other wants a Wii. I argued for XBOX. I plead for PS3. But SO thinks the Wii is SOOO clever. So Wii it is.

Seems to be some price fixing going on. Everywhere it's $199.99 for the basic system + 1 remote, 1 nunchuk, and Wii sports. I assume I'll need a second remote and nunchuk?

I tend more to Oblivion type games. Anything vaguely like that exist for Wii?

Simply put, No. Zelda is as close as you're going to get to that. I think you should get your SO to reconsider. The Wii is more like a toy than a gaming system. It's neat, shiny and new when you first get it but you'll soon tire of it and it'll sit on a shelf collecting dust. I hardily recommend that you go for the PS3 instead.

pejsaboy

I'll second Fudge's idea to try and get the other [better?] half to reconsider. There are two occasions that our Wii gets powered on these days; First, if my 1 year old decides to play with it and knock it around the shelf that it sits on, and then only if we have company over that wants to mess with it for 15 minutes before they leave.

The Wii could have been so much better than it is. They gimmicked me into it with the Wii Fit after I saw it at my parents' house. So I bought it just for the Wii Fit, and have only played a couple of other [lame] titles on it. Honestly, if I can push the idea with little opposition I'll probably be putting it on Craigslist in the next couple of days.

J-O_S-H

As others have mentioned the Wii is great for short term use.

... but that's about it... I kept mine a month before riiding myself of it. It became boring very quickly and I had about 25 games for it.

Mario Kart was the only game I played for more than an hour... I couldn't even stick out Zelda even though I loved previous Zelda games.

I don't think PS3 would be right for your SO wanted a Wii. Xbox 360 has a better catalogue of games for casual gamers. (I am NOT biased towards 360 I have a 360 and PS3).

Xbox 360 is also cheaper, with better graphics and games. There are no gimmiks... it is what it is. It is also much better than the Wii for media (the PS3 is even better)

SteveLord

XBOX is still plagued by the red ring of death isnt it? Despite that, it does seem like the favored system. With PS3 only having a built in bluray as a major benefit.

rainless

Old Member
Well it's been seconded, thirded, and fourthed, now I've got FIVE on it:

Anything close to OBLIVION? HELL NO!

It really is more a toy than an actual gaming system. I got my Wii so I could hack it... not because I was waiting on any kind of "Game of the Year" from them.

It's the ultimate party game though... and it beats the hell out of Jenga... but don't think you'll be getting any masterpiece.

Just get a 120GB ps3 slim and Little Big Planet. Then you can actually PLAY Oblivion if you wanted. And Dragon Age, and a bunch of other stuff.

With the wii it's gonna be you, her, and Wii Fit.

OP
D

dgk

I'm a PC guy at heart. I'll likely pick up Dragon Age while I'm looking around for a Wii. But we don't have a particular deadline for getting a Wii (like tonight) - I took a look at Craig's List and there do seem to be a number of people selling "recently opened" Wiis. I guess folks do get tired of it quickly. Maybe I'll just get one of those and pass it along to someone else when the SO stops playing.

I'm not super hyped on great graphics over gameplay but buying a system that has crappy graphics doesn't make much sense if the games aren't compelling enough to want to keep playing.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
PS3 has seriously taken off in the last 6 months or so after some significant price drops and the introduction of the PS3 Slim (which I now own).
Having owned a PS3 and XBox 360 Elite, I prefer the Xbox controller, but the PS3 is a better system overall. The games have taken longer to come along, but they're really starting to come out in droves. You can also sign up for Netflix and stream movies and tv shows for no additional cost to your membership. Add in the fact that it's got built in Bluray AND wireless and I think it's a winner. You can pop the 120GB HDD and upgrade it to a larger one in 10 mins (and that's counting the initial start up). The PS3 has no external power supply and runs damn near silent, unlike the Xbox360. If you have kids aged 10 or below I'd agree with your SO, but most adults get bored wit Wii after a few months of use.. Then you have a paperweight since it doesn nothing else.

SteveLord

I think it's funny how every year people have been trying to make the Wii some kind of hot item. Yet I never hear of anyone that actually plays it for very long. Now, I think the technology in it is pretty neat, but it doesn't seem like many games take big advantage of it.

Overrated. And I am with Rainless and his theory of store's Wii quantity being low on purpose.

ratbuddy

Wii has two great features.

It plays Gamecube games, and there's a huge library of those for very cheap.

There's a pretty big library of $5 NES games and $8 SNES games you can download for it, if you prefer your emulation to be legal.

I've had the system for a year or two and still haven't bought an actual Wii game for it :p