• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a Raid 0 card support these?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebuchadnazzar

I bought 2, 160 GB western digital drives ( WD1600JBRTL3 ) im hoping to make a Raid 0 setup with them, but my computer won't support drives over 137 GB. So is there a Raid 0 card that will support the 48bit (i think) harddrives?
If not is it possible to partition the drives equally and Raid them?

why won't your computer support drives over 137? what are the computer specs?

im using a a7v266 asus mobo. when i first plugged in the drive it was read as 8GB because it was too large, so i had to run the software that came with the drives to partition it to 127 GB. According the the manual with the harddrive win ME doesn't support HDs over 137 GB. and now im wondering that if i raid these hard drives will i lose 60 GB of space?
also in the manual for the HD it says i can use an IDE PCI card which supports 48 bit Logical Block Addressing to be able to use the full size of the drive. Of the Raid cards i have seen, none of them mention support for 48 bit LBA?

If it's a large LBA in a RAID card then they should say it/advertise it. Try looking at the datasheets for the cards from the manufacturer's websites.

Nebuchadnazzar said:
I bought 2, 160 GB western digital drives ( WD1600JBRTL3 ) im hoping to make a Raid 0 setup with them, but my computer won't support drives over 137 GB. So is there a Raid 0 card that will support the 48bit (i think) harddrives?
If not is it possible to partition the drives equally and Raid them?

I have a Promise Fasttrak TX2000

The manual for the card states that it's bios supports LBA and Extended Interrupt 13 drive translation which allows you to use drives greater than 137 GB.

Al

See this Link:http://www.aberdeeninc.com/../../ABCATG/II961.htm
It mentions that 48 bit LBA mode is supported:)

Last edited:
You should be safe using any card that is known to work with drives >137gb.

Back