• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will a sp-94 handle a 170 watt tec + [email protected]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
i want to get some lower temperatures so i was thinking of getting a tec for my cpu.
i have a psu to power a 176 watt tec and i want to do it.
and i was wondering if a sp-94 would be good enough to cool a 176 watt tec and a 2.4c oc'ed to 3.0 at 1.55v core.
i would like to order it tomorrow or monday (the tec)
i would like to stay away from getting a 226 watt tec because the spare psu i have cant run it.
and if the 176 would work would i need to insulate the mobo, socket (inside area and outside edge), and the back.
i am not looking for extremely low temps but i would like to get down to the 40-45°f range (if possible with theat tec)

thanks in advance, ~Magick_Man~

Calculate the thermal wattage of your overclock. There are multiple sources online where you can find the eq. for this, I have been away from pelts for such a long time I forgot a lot of the stuff myself. This will then tell you what amount of wattage your pelt will have to displace, I am making a GDEG (g** d*** educated guess) that if you are under 110-105w then the heatsink should be able to handle it (with good circulation and hsf of course). Someone double check me.

Regards.

Mr.Radar said:
The SP-94 is a 0.21 c/w heatsink (w/ a high flow fan) which means that for every watt of heat generated the temperature will rise above ambient by 0.21 degrees celcius so 170 watts = 35.7 degree rise above ambient.

you forgot the heatload....

makes it ~60C over ambient, if processor is ~100w

so, if pelt has a delta T of 50C

your on-die temps will be at best 10C over ambient.

In other words, no.

well crap that sucks, so is the only way to cool a pelt good enough with a water setup and a huge rad?
guess that i am gonna have to save up for a while and bite the bullet and go to w/c
thanks for the quick responses.

~Magick_Man~

Correct me if I am wrong but I think you guys are taking the wattage load to the worst extreme. A 176 watt pelt does not produce 176 watts of heat hotside unless ~150 watts are applied cold side. The CPU will produce roughly 100 watts on the pelts cold side, meaning ~21`C above ambient. A pelt is in essence a heat pump, it is NOT an addition to the CPU's thermal wattage.

Regards.

go to the Extreme Cooling forum and check out the stickied "Eric's Ultimate Guide to TECs". All you need to know, including on the subject of the total wattage to consider.

He is, shall we say, a trifle dismissive on the idea of using air cooling with TECs.

DJ Switch said:
Correct me if I am wrong but I think you guys are taking the wattage load to the worst extreme. A 176 watt pelt does not produce 176 watts of heat hotside unless ~150 watts are applied cold side. The CPU will produce roughly 100 watts on the pelts cold side, meaning ~21`C above ambient. A pelt is in essence a heat pump, it is NOT an addition to the CPU's thermal wattage.

Regards.

ok kiddo

a 176w pelt pulls about 15A at 12v.

Where's that 176w of energy going, if not into heat?

A pelt is a heat pump, it doesn't strictly create heat from electricity like a CPU, for example. It removes heat from one side and DISPLACES it to the other, hence the distinction between the hot and cold sides.

Back