• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will be PSU be enough for 945?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

In theory, yes.
In reality, who knows.

Personally, i wouldn't put a new expensive (and power hungry) cpu on a three year old PSU that was junk to begin with.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It should be fine for that month or so... But to overclock and upgrade other parts, I would definately get another PSU.

Neuromancer

No it wont. I had a similar unit and had to mod it to power up a Athlon 64 4000 setup I had. IT is still powering a AMD single core setup to this day :)

theflyingrat

I wouldn't. No way. Find a nice Corsair 450VX or Antec EA-430.

Not sure how that HiPro measures up - anyone know the OEM or internal component lineup?

ETA : From the sound of a Jonnyguru review on a HiPro 550W unit. Performance is actually quite good, but there were some assembly problems in that one. Overall, though, looks much better than the typical generic PSU. Might actually not be so bad to just get things up and running... It also looks like HiPro is their own manufacturer... so maybe more consistently throughout their product line? Who knows. Wish more sites did good, thorough reviews like one can find on JonnyGuru and [H]...

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Here is a review of what appears to be its bigger brother...http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=148

Actually, after I have done some research, this unit only has a combined 19A on the 12v rail. It will likely work, but in all honesty, Im not sure I would touch it. Thanks Neuro for making me think more critically on this...

Even with a combined 19A on the 12v. That GPU isnt squat (75W?) and if the processor is at full load, thats 200W total. And unless you are stress testing, you arent coming close to that number.

I guess I still wouldnt risk it if there is another one available, but you can try it.

Bobnova

GPU is something silly like 46 watts. CPU is rated at 125, hard drives and such are something like five or eight watts each, though more on spinup.
19a 12v is 228 watts, it's generally accepted that you don't want to load the PSU over 80% of it's rated capacity, putting the limit at 182 watts. Just the CPU and GPU combined is 171 watts, pretty close to the limit.

QuietIce

Disabled

Bobnova

Definitely no OC.
Without an OC the cpu probably actually only consumes ~90-100 watts in prime large ffts, less in normal use. OC it to 3.6 and give it 1.5v and you're looking at more like 140-150.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Why would you imagine it uses less power than its rated for when using Large FFT? What test in P95 uses all of its rating?????

Bobnova

Nothing i found in testing a PhII 810. They rate 'em for full on linpack or IBT or something.
The "95w" 810 drew 78w at stock speed/volts.
Ramped up to [email protected] it was 128w.

Bobnova

TDP is the absolute worst case scenario plus a bit just in case i guess.
Essentially it's the safe bet.