• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will bill g castrate me or anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axhed

long story short.......

two weeks ago i tried to install a usb ethernet port on the old faithful rig, had some kind of driver conflict and the machine couldn't even ping the router while connected through the old NIC. i was told to reinstall win98se, but i can't find the disc. i was told to download an update for my win98 machine to my winxp machine and transfer it over via diskette but i never figured out how to do it.

last week i tried to push the bluelight special to a 205FSB and now the darn thing won't even post.

soooooo......

i installed winxp on the celly500 using the xp2400+'s product key just so i could come here and ask for some help to get these boxes running again.

i've got 30 days before i have to register the second install of winxp.... is the **** gonna hit the fan or anything?

OrionRU

Simply? No.

Explained: Who cares? The piracy is so ramprant I dont know 1 person of all my friends who actually buys software anymore. I doubt that m$ would persue you. But who knows ;)

Cowboy Shane

Ignoring the piracy concerns raised in the above post, you shouldn't have too much trouble. You may have to call Microsoft, but after explaining that the computer you originally installed on has crashed, they should give you a new key. If you uninstall XP from the backup system to reinstall on your main system, you may have to call again. The upshot is that as long as you have a valid license, you should be fine.

William

Prodigal Son Moderator
OrionRU said:
Simply? No.

Explained: Who cares? The piracy is so ramprant I dont know 1 person of all my friends who actually buys software anymore. I doubt that m$ would persue you. But who knows ;)

We as a forum care, because warez discussions WILL get this site shut down. Just because something is the norm doesn't make it right or ok.

It depends on your liscense. If its retail, your fine. That liscense can be moved from computer to computer at your will, provided no other computers have a running copy of XP on them. If its OEM, you are probably technically violating the liscense, which is tied the hardware.

As for calling MSFT, if you have a valid instillation code/product key, its going to activate, and the reps at MSFT shouldn't hassle you if you have to call(i had to dance around this once but the lady was really nice.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
I hadn't registered my copy of XP yet because it was a new install and I was just trying to get stuff set up before I registered and I ended up having to clear my CMOS. When I did that, the date went back to January 200 (or something like that). I forgot to change it back before I booted, and now I have to register, even though I technically have like 20 days left or something like that.

I also have to re-register OfficeXP. I figure I'll do my best to wait on both, as I plan to get a new hard drive before I go to college.

OfficeXP has a clause in the license agreement that says you can install Office on both a desktop and a laptop, so long as you own them both (and probably some more stuff, but I don't remember every detail). When I go to install it on the laptop I'm getting for college, it's going to make me register. When I do that, it's going to tell me I already have it installed on a different machine. When I call Microsoft about it, what are they going to say?

Thanks

Z

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
I have the academic license Office, but I still have to register. Is there a difference between the one from, say, Circuit City, and the one from a college?

Z