• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will dust filter decrease CFM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calavera

I hate it when dust accumulates inside the case, fans, heatsinks..etc.

I figure dust filters could be the solution: filters on all the case
fans.

Big question is, will it affect CFM and noise?

Also, what kind of air/dust filters would you recommend and where can I get them from?

(Will regular filters sold at a hardwarestore do the trick?)

Paxmax

Yup, CFM will decrease with higher resistance. A way to somewhat avoid it would be to make the filter as large as possible. My plan is to cut out entire bottom of the case and fit a filter. I raise the case an inch to permit easy airflow to the new intake. Cheapest is to by filter by the squarefoot from, well.. I'll leave that up to you, since I live in Sweden anyway.

Oh yes, be sure to have positive pressure inside the case, and fit the biggest fan on the intake at the filter, to prevent dust creeping in from cracks in the case...

Good Luck! /Paxmax :)

TheDarkElf

Registered
Here are the two purposes

Cool PC (Higher Maintenece)
1. No fan filters dust cleaning more often.

Less Dusty PC (Lower Maintenece)
2. Fan filter slower CFM value need more fans to make up for the lost CFM.

I recommend if you want a less dsutier PC is to get more fans, cut a few holes and mroe up for the CFM with more fans.

OP
Calavera

Calavera

Hmm....will four 80mm fans do the job or should I make more?

And by positive pressure you mean, more air going in than out?
(Intake fans > exhaust fans)

Paxmax

Yeah, exactly.
Well, I think 4 80mm will definetly cut it :)

I had planned to put 2 120mm to suck in air in the bottom, and one 80 to exhaust + 80 mm in powersupply. And then there is all other holes which leaks out air....

Very important is the ~flow~ through PC.
Think like cold air in bottom, hot air out top. The natural convection inside will help circulation inside. I tried the other way around, and fight the natural rising of hot air, my thought was to get as fresh air as possible to CPU fan...

well... Once I tried the other way I was surprised how much I gained, even though in my mind The darn CPU sucks hot air!!!
So, use the natural force dude ! :p

/Paxmax

OP
Calavera

Calavera

Aright cool. Now I know what to do! =)

Two 80mm fans at front bottom will be intake. One 80mm fan in rear middle will be exhaust. My PSU has two fans, one on the back and one on top. I'll have to figure out how this works. :p

Man, I'm getting tired of waiting on my stuff to get here...I want my comp now!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? sorry, needed to vent. lol

Paxmax

Originally posted by Calavera
I'll have to figure out how this works. :p

Man, I'm getting tired of waiting on my stuff to get here...I want my comp now!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? sorry, needed to vent. lol [/B]

LOL ! Oh, I know the feeling. This summer I had my order on delay, waiting for the last part, the damn SCSI 160 drive.

/Paxmax :burn:

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
it will

and the cfm will drop the longer its there becuase it will get cloged with dust and what not

the question of coruse is will the drop in cfm be worth more to the cooling than the lack of insalation caused by the dust that there.

ntpphong

i think there're those new 80mm filters made of alluminium instead of those thick stuffs. i have one and it doesnt decrease the cfm that much.

FIZZ3

IWasHungry

You know you could use pantyhose. :)
It's actually pretty good at NOT decreasing CFM. Changing them can be a hassle, though. For me to cut the right size, remove, and replace the squares on all 6 fans takes at least half an hour.

Do what you wish. :burn:

orion456

IWasHungry said:
You know you could use pantyhose. :)
It's actually pretty good at NOT decreasing CFM. Changing them can be a hassle, though. For me to cut the right size, remove, and replace the squares on all 6 fans takes at least half an hour.

Do what you wish. :burn:

Yep thought about that but I wasn't sure how efficient it would be. Most fan filters that you see (like house filters for furnaces) are made of materials that cause the air to take a twisting path and pantyhose wouldn't do that. So I figured better stick with air conditioning filter. Besides once it was made, all I need to do is vacuum it once in a while.

I did try an electrete material which filters almost everything. But it caused a 3c increase in temps which seemed a bit much. Perhaps a clean case is worth it...I'll let you know in about 6 months.