• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Will DX12 spell the end of PhenomII?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
Time spy will not run with an 1100T in my rig!!!!
Will DX12 kill the Phenom II?
Not that it really matters at this moment as most games are not DX12 and none of mine are.

Last edited:
A while back ago (maybe a bit over a year) i read a review that it was supposed to have the biggest effect on older hardware as opposed to newer, meaning it would work better on for example FX then Skylake. I would assume the biggest impacts would be on core count, not how old your setup is, so a 4c/6c Phenom II might get a nice boost depending on how well the game is optimised ?

Example :

boost!!! it won't run at all.......... all I do is pop in an FX and it runs fine??????????

trying to get it to complete the bench last night was a complete fail.
searching the interwebs dredges up the fact that the bench requires SSSE3 instructions and the phenomII is only SSE3, so phenom is useless for this benchmark.

none of my pII rigs will load the cpu test, my fx and apu rigs will, so it's just time to flush the cases of all the old stuff and fill them with the new stuff.
I'll keep the intel stuff I have as there is no reason, yet, to change those.

So it's not DX12 but SSE3 that is the isssue, CD. Besides, unless you are depending on IGP (which the Phenoms do not have anyway) the DX12 issues would have been a graphics card problem, not CPU.

So it's not DX12 but SSE3 that is the isssue, CD. Besides, unless you are depending on IGP (which the Phenoms do not have anyway) the DX12 issues would have been a graphics card problem, not CPU.

if this is the case, do you have any idea what I might have setup wrong?
example, my chvfz board, run the bench with my 9590, it completes the bench.
pull the 9590, install the 1100T, swap to 1600 ram, boot to bios, reset to default, reboot to win10, quick test with p95 and heaven, all is good, start timespy and it will not complete the bench.

Back