• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I be able to overclock with this cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoNiCxSynDiCaTE

Hello. This is my first post :) Anyways I just bought a new setup and fairly nervous to overclock. I am trying to overclock a 2.3ghz AMD x4 Phenom quad core. The cooling I will be using is the MassCool 5F9001B1H3 CPU Fan. It's specs are:

Fan Type: CPU Cooler

Socket Type: 939
AM2
AM2+

Fan Speed: 3200 RPM

Noise Level: 32 dBA

Air Flow: 36.43 CFM

Heatsink Material: Aluminum

Bearing Type: Ball

Voltage: 12 V

Connector(s): 3-Pin

Fan Dimensions: 80 x 80 x 25 mm

Life Hours: 50,000 hours

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
What you have is not remotely the best but should be better then the stock cooler. Keep the temps in line and you should be just fine. I believe they say to keep that CPU under 60C load (Prime95 Small FFT) someone please correct that temp if I am wrong.

OP
S

SoNiCxSynDiCaTE

Thank you sir. Is the quad core I listed above good enough to get pretty good fps in crysis do you think?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The CPU has little to do with it really unless you play on very low resolutions (1280x1024 and below). Its your Videocard that handles most of that work. And since you didnt list it, I cant tell you. What resolution would you play Crysis at?

Amtrak

He's got a link in his sig. With a 9600 GT, you certainly won't be able to turn any of the details up very high, regardless of resolution.

And welcome to the forums.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Medium no AA sounds right.

And before the link in his sig was removed, I couldnt see it anyway as I am at work and that site is blocked.

trents

That CPU is not a good overclocker but you should be able to get a little more out of it by raising the FSB. You may need to relax your ram timings and raise the Dimm voltae a little to allow for that, however. Your odds at getting a decent overclock would greatly improve with a better CPU cooler. You can get a really good 120mm fan-based tower cooler for under $40, like the Sunbeam or the Xigmatek.

Gambler_BE

I've got a friend who has a 9600GT and can play crysis with pretty much all settings on high with a descent framerate (seen by eye, haven't checked it with fraps) So you should do fine :)