• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will i need a cpu shim for a waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
If you're going AMD, I don't see why not. It makes me feel safer, and they're only a couple bucks. I think they're worth it.

iNSiGMA

IS there a danger in using an Aluminum CPU shim with a copper waterblock? I had purchased one when I was getting stuff for my wc setup, and when I recieved it I asked here on the board if there would be a problem using a Al shim w/ a Cu block and nobody ever answered me :-/

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Don't see why there would be. My shim is aluminum...nothing's going to corrode or anything like that.

=ACID RAIN=

IS there a danger in using an Aluminum CPU shim with a copper waterblock?

Unless you tossed your shim in your resevior, no, there is no chance of a reaction.

I don't use a shim myself, just never had a need for one.

eXCeSS

i got a shim on my 2800+ just for a piece of mind.

DOHCrazy -- yea all athlon shims work for bartons.

OP
mumrah

mumrah

DOHCrazy said:
Theres not shims for bartons is there?
The shim i got is CompUSA brand, and it's copper and fits my Barton perfectly

DOHCrazy

hmm, all the shims ive seen say 'NOT for Barton' but ill make a trip to compusa and get one, ive always wanted one, just thought i couldnt use it.

OP
mumrah

mumrah

DOHCrazy said:
hmm, all the shims ive seen say 'NOT for Barton' but ill make a trip to compusa and get one, ive always wanted one, just thought i couldnt use it.

Well i did make my temps crazy unstable, but that was only because it lifted the heatsink too high off the die

Mikeonatrike

Yeh make sure the shim is seated properly. Me and my buddy were watering his shuttle and his shim wasnt seated on his barton.....we started it up and nothing but some beeps. IT wasnt touching at all!!! Chip survived though...