• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Here is something to think about, if I take the 1st pair of wires on a ethernet cable and swap pins 1 and 2 on 1 end and wire the other end normally will it work? (see pic)
As you can see, I have the orange wire on pin 1 on the connector on the right and orange/white on pin 2, it will fail the cable tester but will it work anyway? :)

cabletest.jpg

Last edited:
That's a cross-over cable, correct? I think that will let you connect two PCs without a switch.

That's a cross-over cable, correct? I think that will let you connect two PCs without a switch.
Nope, a crossover is where you use 568A and 568B, both connectors in the pic is 568B with 1 change to the orange pair.
This
568A568B.jpg
is the wiring for crossover.

I spoke to Whitehawk on the phone yesterday so I am no longer allowed to post a guess. :(

Edit, nevermind, I mis-read what you were asking, as I have a migrane and can't focus that well right now.

Back