• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will StarCraft 2 run on your system? Find out here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iaacp

So, we've had a lot of threads lately, with frequent questions about how StarCraft 2 will run on certain systems.

The short answer is: yes! There's a dang good chance it will. Blizz did a great job at making the game very adaptable for a wide range of systems.

But how can you know for sure if it will run on YOUR computer, and how well? We have a few different ways of figuring this out.

First and foremost, here are the minimum requirements for both PC and Mac, followed by the recommended.

PC Requirements

PC Minimum System Requirements*:

* Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
* 2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
* 128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
* 12 GB available HD space
* 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
* DVD-ROM drive
* Broadband Internet connection
* 1024X720 minimum display resolution

PC Recommended Specifications:

* Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
* Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
* 2 GB RAM
* 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

*Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.
Mac Requirements

Mac Minimum System Requirements:

* Mac® OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.2 or newer
* Intel® Processor
* NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon® X1600 or better
* 12 GB available HD space
* 2 GB Ram
* DVD-ROM drive
* Broadband Internet connection
* 1024X720 minimum display resolution

Mac Recommended Specifications:

* Intel® Core 2 Duo processor
* 4 GB system RAM
* NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M GT or ATI Radeon® HD 4670 or better

You're going to want at least, or near at least the minimum requirements. Worried about minute details, though? How do you know if your processor is better or equal to the ones listed in those requirements, with so many different models and lines from each company? The same goes for video cards. There's so many models, and the higher number card doesn't mean it's stronger than a lower number!

Thankfully, we have some help for that. First of all, check out Blizzards detailed explanation of the required parts, and how different models will work, and which minimum you will need for most lines. Quoted below for your convenience:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501357

Processors

These are more of generalizations.

* Athlon processors do not meet the system requirements. They're the old Thunderbird models and go up to 1.2 GHz.

* Athlon XP processors with a rating of 2200+ and above will meet it.

* Athlon 64 processors tend to meet it. The very low-end Athlon 64 models (energy efficient models ending in e) may not. Check your clock speeds. Anything at or higher than 2.2GHz is a safe bet.

* For Sempron types, you'll want a higher clock speed to make up for it lacking in other areas. Sempron processors exists across Socket 478-AM2 so you may want to see what type you have using CPU-Z. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

* First generation AMD Phenom processors (ending in 00) will work but you need to be aware of the TLB fix. It has a pretty substantial performance drop so you might see choppiness. We have a pretty large writeup on the World of Warcraft forum with a bit more information about it. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=10971909544&sid=1

* Phenom processors ending in 50 do not have this problem. All but the slowest models will meet the system requirements

* Athlon II and Phenom II should all be faster than the minimum requirements.

* Pentium III processors do not meet the requirements

* Pentium IV/D processors at 2.6GHz and above meet it.

* Intel Core 2 around 1.8GHz is a rough area but should be able to play it at low settings. 2.4GHz is the recommended number.

* Intel Celeron processors fall under a lot of different families of chips and sockets. There are those based off of the Pentium 4 of different types and those based off of Core 2. You may want to check what type you have using CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

* Intel i3/i5/i7 exceed the minimum requirements.

Video card

We require a GeForce 6600 or Radeon 9800 video card in terms of performance. Keep in mind that there are higher-numbered video cards that fall under what we need. Probably the best chart you can look at is available on Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-geforce-gtx-480,2598-6.html

The GeForce 6600 and Radeon 9800 are towards the lower half of the chart. If your video card is under it, that's not a good thing. If your video card is above it, that's good.

Some of the more common ones that are under the system requirements:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 6200, 7150, 8300, 8400, 9100, 9300

ATI Radeon Xpress 200, 1150, 1250, X1050, 8500-9600, X300-600

All Intel GMA adapters minus the one in the i3/i5 chips. Those tend to run better but we don't know how much.

So by now, you should have a good gauge of how well you're going to be able to run the game. Here's another handy guide that compares nearly ALL video cards, courtesy of Tom's Hardware. The cards are broken up into tiers - so cards that are in the same section are nearly equal. Find yours on the list and see where it ranks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2118-7.html

However, you need to note one thing here: As that Blizzard post said, they require a Nvidia 6600 or higher! There's a GOOD chance you beat this. If you're unsure, check the list. Laptop cards can actually be pretty weak. Does your card fall in a tier below the 6600? Fear not! You can probably still run the game on low, if your other components are good.

Take me for example. I have a good processor (Core 2 Duo, 2.4ghz, and plenty of ram (4GB). However, the video card I'm using in my laptop is a measly 8400M GS. Oooh, big number, it must be good, right? Nope! Despite it being a 128mb card, it falls beneath the 6600 by a good amount. Don’t fear, though – because I’ve still got other strong components, I can still run the game on low! I haven’t tried any crazy 4v4’s or anything, so I can’t comment on huge games, but otherwise I get fine performance on single player and the few multiplayer games I’ve played [aside from overheating issues from my laptop, not the game’s fault].

Lastly, we have Can You Run It? A free app that compares your hardware to the game’s requirements FOR you! How easy is that? Don’t trust it too much (it just told me my 128mb 8400M GS beats a 512 mb 8800), but it’s still handy to compare your specs next to each other.

http://systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/analysis.aspx

And now, I’m sure we have members willing to give input if you still have questions relating to performance. Things like “Can I run this game on ultra with an 8800GTS” and the like. So, ask away!

I hope this guide has been at least a little helpful for you. Let’s try to keep it bumped to make sure we direct most traffic here, and so we may have a centralized StarCraft 2 hardware discussion!

Good man. I would hope people understand that meeting the min specifications does not mean you will enjoy the full potential of the entire game. Furthermore, meeting or having a system that is around the min will most like translate in the inability to play some custom games. Single player is also harder on your computer than multiplayer. The game is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent, so when looking to only upgrade one, you may consider this. But always ask, thats what we (the ocf community) are here for :).

Good man. I would hope people understand that meeting the min specifications does not mean you will enjoy the full potential of the entire game. Furthermore, meeting or having a system that is around the min will most like translate in the inability to play some custom games. Single player is also harder on your computer than multiplayer. The game is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent, so when looking to only upgrade one, you may consider this. But always ask, thats what we (the ocf community) are here for :).

Good points! Listen to this man.

nice post iaacp
the OCF SC2 clan :salute: you

:D

Could a mod maybe add to the title " / General Performance Thread"?

While the game runs without a hitch on my laptop, the in-game cinematics overheat it almost instantly. The 3D quality level is really impressive considering it's an RTS, the characters and animations are almost on par with the latest FPS and third-person shooters.

Vsync should fix most overheating

This kills FPS on a lot of systems. This is really only need when you want to avoid taring no? Vsync seems to cause more strain on the system while just limiting the FPS would cause none. Correct me if I am wrong.

iaacp, is there any chance I can talk you into putting this on the front page? Just contact I.M.O.G. via PM with your email address, and he can get the account set up for you. I think this information could be beneficial to more than just the people browsing the forums, and it could help bring in some new members as well.:thup:

I have an Opteron 165 (1.8ghz) dual core processor with 7600GT video card. I can play campaign at 1600x900 high settings. FPS in the twenties.

When I overclocked my Opty back to 2.5ghz I play it at 1920x1080 with medium settings, FPS in mid twenties.

Yeah it dips down to the teens at times but campaign still very playable to me. I suppose when I play multiplayer i'd have to turn the settings back down a bit.

The cutscenes I get 80+fps somtimes at 1080p.

badboyeee if i were you i would look into upgrades soon, 20's is a horrible FPS rate, to me the game looks choppy and "unplayable" untill around 45 FPS, if i ever drop below 35 FPS in any game at any moment i jump on new egg and ponder for hours if i should get a 2nd 465. but this has only happened once in metro 2033....F U dx11 and your tessellation killing my frame rates.

badboyeee if i were you i would look into upgrades soon, 20's is a horrible FPS rate, to me the game looks choppy and "unplayable" untill around 45 FPS, if i ever drop below 35 FPS in any game at any moment i jump on new egg and ponder for hours if i should get a 2nd 465. but this has only happened once in metro 2033....F U dx11 and your tessellation killing my frame rates.

im still contemplating on buying a HD 5750. ive decided if i can get a really good deal on that card ill get it now. im actually trying to save up for a whole new system, maybe beginning of next year I wanna try to wait for Bulldozer.

im not hardcore, just a casual SC2 gamer. its the only PC game im interested in. so far the mid twenties FPS hasn't bothered me, I suppose if the missions get more intense ill drop the resolution back down. Even to 720p, doesnt bother me if i dont have the best graphics. :D

im actually trying to OC my CPU a bit more to see if it helps.

i may be late for this, but can my 2 in 1 pc run this? i always carry it around and i want to see if i can play this game that i love with this device.

Intel atom x5 1.84ghz quadcore cherry trail
intel hd
2gb ram
1280x800 screen

i may be incorrect with the cpu but i dont know the exact intel hd model it has

Back