• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will the new gtx3-- be compatible SLI with the gtx259?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Living Waters

Registered
Question - when the GTX3-- card comes out it should be DX11 and if you all ready have a GTX295 can you SLI the GTX3-- card with your GTX295 in the second pcie slot? or do you have to have 2x GTX3-- cards ?

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
You've always had to have the same model cards for SLI, so I doubt anything will change with Fermi.

ratbuddy

Question - when the GTX3-- card comes out it should be DX11 and if you all ready have a GTX295 can you SLI the GTX3-- card with your GTX295 in the second pcie slot? or do you have to have 2x GTX3-- cards ?

Question - are you running a 3x2560x1600 setup or something? That's the only case where you'd even need that much horsepower.

Daddyjaxx

GPU's are getting way beyond software needs. The system I built my father with a kind of lowly 4770 was playing Crysis at high at 1600x1050 just fine. He just started playing Rise of Flight and it looked beautiful with the 4770.

OP
Living Waters

Living Waters

Registered
A pair of 5870's for 1920x1200? What a waste.

I wanted to get a pair of 5870's but I can’t seem to find any, and my PC build is just sitting there waiting on a video card, so I wanted a DX11 card but I will settle for a GTX295. I tried to look for 2x 5850's but they are also out of stock every where; I know my sig says 2x 5870s but right now I don’t have any GPU.

So you think 2x 5870's is too much horse power for what I have? Please let me know what you would recommend for my PC build that I have in my sig, I currently have everything but the video card.

Thanks
~Daniel.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Like I believe was mentioned before, one would be fine. Hell a single 5850 would be fine. The GTX295 is overkill to be honest. If you just want to wait for a DX11 card, get a cheap GTX260 216 and play near anything on full tilt (like I am now on the same size monitor). Then when availability comes up and pricing goes down when Nvidia releases their DX11 offerings, you can make a better purchase. ;)