• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will the new zen architectures be overclockable UNLIKE INTELS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In reality "Serious" "Overclockers" would rather spend the money on a high end board that will have extended bios features with AMD processors. You would take notice with this if you're familiar with past AMD boards, that the expensive models just overclock better. Features like better cooling and VRM current management at the finger tips.

Sure I've overclocked with LN2 on low/mid ranged boards. But the ROG with all the bells and whistles always did the best when it came to average custom water loops and daily gaming and such.

You'd see that when people ask about what to get. WEll for FX the Sabortooth is the first suggestion and is considered a high end board.

In reality "Serious" "Overclockers" would rather spend the money on a high end board that will have extended bios features with AMD processors. You would take notice with this if you're familiar with past AMD boards, that the expensive models just overclock better. Features like better cooling and VRM current management at the finger tips.

Sure I've overclocked with LN2 on low/mid ranged boards. But the ROG with all the bells and whistles always did the best when it came to average custom water loops and daily gaming and such.

You'd see that when people ask about what to get. WEll for FX the Sabortooth is the first suggestion and is considered a high end board.

Well this is a whole new, much more power efficient (we are led to believe) architecture. Can't really compare the old processors to these yet can we?

The people that will buy these lower end OC boards will most likely pair them with a 4C/8T CPU or APU. If all goes to plan these will be unbeatable value on the B350 chipset and should OC enough to be significant value against intel.

Again AMD will be better bang for buck at lower pricepoints, and a viable option for the high end. It's a win-win.

I'm not sure how to not sound rude when I say your points above are totally irrelevant to the fact you can OC on cheaper boards. So apologies in advance :)

how is that not exactly what I said ....
X / B will oc A will not

AMD isn't doing it. The motherboard manufacturers are. ALL AMD CPU's are overclockable. AMD does not control what chipset the motherboard manufacturer uses.
If a specific chipset to overclock costs you more, AMD isn't getting any of that, just the mobo manufacturers are.

how is that not exactly what I said ....
X / B will oc A will not

It is 100% different. All AMD cpu's will be unlocked. Intel only has a few select cpu's that are unlocked and they cost more. The "A" you speak of are motherboards. Those boards are not constructed with overclocking in mind. They are for people who have no desire to overclock and just want a basic, cheap board.

AMD isn't doing it. The motherboard manufacturers are. ALL AMD CPU's are overclockable. AMD does not control what chipset the motherboard manufacturer uses.
If a specific chipset to overclock costs you more, AMD isn't getting any of that, just the mobo manufacturers are.

Doesn't AMD sell the chipset to the board partners like Intel does?

Pretty sure they do and no matter who is getting the money you the end user will pay more for overclocking ... With the chipset so exactly like I said ...

Doesn't AMD sell the chipset to the board partners like Intel does?
Well, yes, but they are spec'ed at the board manufacturers request. AMD only makes the chipsets, they do not specify what is done with them after purchase, or what the end user is going to pay for the added features.
I see what you're trying to do here. If you really want to split hairs so that you're correct in saying AMD makes money on their chipsets then go ahead, But they're not the one's charging the end user more for a fuller featured chipset, the mobo manufacturers are.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure they do and no matter who is getting the money you the end user will pay more for overclocking ... With the chipset so exactly like I said ...
That's not exactly what you said. You specifically said that AMD was charging the end user more. They are not, the mobo manufacturers are.

AMD will be going the same way as Intel more $ if you want overclocking. Intel does it with the CPU and mb chipset . AMD is doing just chipset but still extra if you want to OC.

Well, yes, but they are spec'ed at the board manufacturers request. AMD only makes the chipsets, they do not specify what is done with them after purchase, or what the end user is going to pay for the added features.
I see what you're trying to do here. If you really want to split hairs so that you're correct in saying AMD makes money on their chipsets then go ahead, But they're not the one's charging the end user more for a fuller featured chipset, the mobo manufacturers are.
The X370 Chipset is going to support 'overclocking, it cost the board partners more to buy from AMD then the B350 chipset cost. Like Intel is doing with chipsets there making the board partners agree not to allow overclocking with B350 chipset.

The X370 Chipset is going to support 'overclocking, it cost the board partners more to buy from AMD then the B350 chipset cost. Like Intel is doing with chipsets there making the board partners agree not to allow overclocking with B350 chipset.

^ IIRC Intel has stated and priced the CPU's higher for their UNlocked K edition. You can take that K CPU to a lower MB but your OC is also limited. :) This will be the same with Ryzen in your OC will be limited by the MB used.

Well this is a whole new, much more power efficient (we are led to believe) architecture. Can't really compare the old processors to these yet can we?

The people that will buy these lower end OC boards will most likely pair them with a 4C/8T CPU or APU. If all goes to plan these will be unbeatable value on the B350 chipset and should OC enough to be significant value against intel.

Again AMD will be better bang for buck at lower pricepoints, and a viable option for the high end. It's a win-win.

I'm not sure how to not sound rude when I say your points above are totally irrelevant to the fact you can OC on cheaper boards. So apologies in advance :)

Well all you typed is Bull**** really. Total offence to give, cause I'm that kind of person.

500$ for a cpu is not cheap. And the big OC boards won't be cheap. So the lower models won't be as cheap as you might think also.

Viable option vs Intel 8 threaded processors? You do realize that it's taking AMD 16 threads to accomplish Intels 8 thread multi-tasking abilities?

And how power efficient do you suppose these chips are at 4.2ghz and up towards 200W??

B350 chipset is between plug and play and low/mid ranged board.

Want to overclock, we are looking for the X not the b.

I wouldn't care if it took 32 threads to match Intel's 8 threads as long as the end result was equivalent performance for less money.

I wouldn't care if it took 32 threads to match Intel's 8 threads as long as the end result was equivalent performance for less money.

Well the 7700K is on newegg for 350$ US roughly. AMD's top 16 thread chip is being released around 500$.

I don't see the word equivalent here. Or cheaper.... OR less money.

But hey, think what you must! Doesn't bother me one bit.

Oh because we always need a link to back our statements....

Current rumours have the Zen processors arriving in three distinct tiers - SR 7, SR 5 and SR 3 - following Intel's Core i7, i5, i3 structure. The top SR (Summit Ridge, innit?) tier will be the eight-core, 16-thread CPUs, and we're being told to expect the highest clocked version to retail for around $500 with a slightly slower octo-core costing around the $350 mark

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-zen-release-date-specs-prices-rumours

A slower octo-core you are going to overclock because you don't want to spend 500$ on the faster one but "think" a lower end board is going to handle the overclock.....

I dunno boys. Don't get super hyped on the efficiency and pricing deal. These are release pricing. Wait it out a good 6 months and those prices should come down.

Maybe it's because I had a FX, but if I planned on any serious OC I wouldn't be looking at how cheap I could go on the motherboard anyway. PSU and mobo just aren't the places to cut corners if you're going to lean on a chip, IMO. Get cheap RAM, a used budget GPU, save on the case, all fine. Stuff with a fair chance of leading to the question "Do you smell something burning?" I wouldn't go cheap on. Especially if my goal was to exceed factory specs when I bought the parts.

it cost the board partners more to buy from AMD then the B350 chipset cost. Like Intel is doing with chipsets there making the board partners agree not to allow overclocking with B350 chipset.
Link to your proof please?
Otherwise this is just talking out your a$$.

Back