• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this build work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
looks like an alienware case.

That said, theres no real way to know. If they are using dell's proprietary motherboards, then nothing will fit lol

Which would be weird because it looks like it's ATX.
I/O at the top left, expansion slots at the bottom left, but there's only 6 expansion slots so it may not fit a full length ATX board.

Which would be weird because it looks like it's ATX.
I/O at the top left, expansion slots at the bottom left, but there's only 6 expansion slots so it may not fit a full length ATX board.

I have a lenovo intel board and case that "looks" mini atx, except its 7"x7" instead 6"x6". NOTHING will fit except that motherboard. Wouldn't shock me if they did some crap like that for alienwares.

I have a lenovo intel board and case that "looks" mini atx, except its 7"x7" instead 6"x6". NOTHING will fit except that motherboard. Wouldn't shock me if they did some crap like that for alienwares.

And that's why the six expansion slots concern me. Most ATX mid-towers have seven.

Where do I find out?

Either measure the motherboard size and motherboard standoff locations or figure out what it was bought with.
If it's OEM it may have a sticker or badge on it saying a make/model.

Alienware cases aren't great anyway. You can get a generic case for 30$ that will have superior airflow and mounting options.

This is probably my final build (albeit I might go for a slightly cheaper CPU)... Do I need to get a sound card too or does the motherboard cover that part?

This is probably my final build (albeit I might go for a slightly cheaper CPU)... Do I need to get a sound card too or does the motherboard cover that part?

Look at this instead:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jhkR8d

The 4690K is plenty for gaming, especially OC'd.
Better CPU cooler.
Better motherboard (it has better integrated sound than the one you chose, mitigating the need of a sound card).
Faster RAM for the same price.
Changed to a 960, it'll perform about the same as the 280, but uses half the power.
Changed to a great modular PSU instead of a good non-modular PSU.

And the audio comes with that motherboard, I still don't have to get a soundcard?

Edit: Nevermind, you mentioned that part.

Last edited:
What's the highest I can overclock that CPU to?

Edit: Damn, double post. Sorry.

A budget air cooler, 4.4-4.5GHz.
With a great air cooler, 4.7-4.8GHz tops.
A great AIO may get you an extra 0.1GHz.

The G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

Ignore that... People run 1.65v+ all day long.

I ordered all the parts. Now... my hard drives. Do I make the one I have the OS on the master drive and all the other the slaves? Is that how that works?

The hard drive was the first of the parts to be delivered to my house, but it didn't come with any SATA cables. Can I just use the ones I'm using now for these older drives?

Last edited:
Back