• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this GPU work properly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

socal081

I recently was given a XFX R9 390X DD 8GB gpu for my previous EVGA GTX960 FTW 2GB gpu and noticed when I was reading up on the XFX that it recommends a 750w psu but I only have a XFX TS550. Will this card function properly with my psu? I actually have it installed now and have been using it with no problems so far but I was wondering if im not getting the full potential out of the card or not because of the psu I have. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks

My Rig:
Intel i5-6600 non-k (CPU)
Asetek AIO Liquid Cooler
MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING (Motherboard)
16GB Kit (2x8GB) AData XPG DDR4 2400 (Memory)
XFX R9 390X 8GB (GPU)
XFX TS550 (PSU)
250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD (Operating System)
1TB Western Digital Blue 7200 3.5" HDD (Storage)
In Win 101C (Case)

If the PSU was insufficient for the card it would not manifest itself in poorer FPS but things like lockups, artifacts and blues screens. However, you are pushing that PSU to the limit and it may shorten the life of the PSU itself. Video card companies do tend to hedge their stated PSU watt requirements because they know many people will purchase the cheapest PSU possible that will not sustain it's advertised power output.

Your PSU is rated to provide 44A Max on the +12V rail so it should be fine with a single R9 390X.

You should be fine assuming that psu can output it's full amperage on the 12v.

As was said, if there isnt enough power, it doesnt show in lower fps...but lock ups and such. If it's working fine, keep on keeping on!

Back