• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will This HSF handle my AXP 1800+ ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToF

Registered
Hey All!
I have recently bought a GlobalWin WBK38 HSF. Do you think it will be able to handle my Athlon XP 1800+ (1533MHz) if I overclocked it to 1666MHz (2000+) or maybe to 1725 (Max FSB for mobo is 150MHz - 11.5X150)
Info on HSF is here --> http://www.globalwin.com.tw/new-product/Wbk38.html
Basically a alluminium HS with 6800RPM fan on top.
And also will i need to bump up the voltage to get the chip to 1666MHz if the HSF will support it anyway.

Thanks In Advanced.
ToF

I have a WBK38 on my 1.33GHZ Athlon T-bird. I hate it. That thing made me get involved in water cooling in the first place :p . It sounds like there is a jet engine running in my house when I have the computer on and let me tell you, its not THAT good of cooling to have to deal with the noise. Even at non-oced, my CPU runs at 42C idle and 48C under load. My advice is either to get water cooling or a Volcano 7. :cool:

The WBK38 is a good Aluminum heatsink, albiet loud. I would think your needs would be better served by one of the myriad of copper heatsinks out there though. Some are quite cost effective. The Dynatron DY1206BH that svc sells offers a great "bang-for-buck".

http://www.svcompucycle.com/dyndy1builyo.html

Hoot

EDIT
Oops, I just checked that link and it appears they are not selling them anymore. Sorry. Search around, someone else may have them.

EDIT AGAIN
Newegg has them $18.00 plus shipping

Last edited:
Don't trust me on this, but it does seem good enough (its got higher letters than my HSF for 1.4GHz, and if I remember from the packaging, yours is good enough)

And voltages, try upping the MHz, and if it crashes, up the voltage a bit, then see what happens... if it crashes again, up the voltage again, this will add heat, so get cooling the case!

I actually have that heatsink, but instead of a 6cm fan, I am using a 9cm fan which is very easy to mount on it with those metal retainer things. You will need a fan grill on both sides however, so that those metal retainers can clip on the grille. After lapping it, and using a Sunon 43 CFM fan, my temps are like 44 Degrees full load with an XP-1700 @ 1614 MHz, 1.80 Vcore. It is also very queit,, I can sleep with it on no problem.

These are the results I got with the DY-1206BH using the Delta 38cfm fan and an Athlon XP1800.

Speed-----Vcore-----Air----------Core-------Watts------C/W
1533-------1.675-----19.7---------30----------64.13------.16
1600-------1.725-----21------------34----------66.93------.19
1680-------1.85-------21-----------38----------80.83-------.21
1740-------2.00-------21-----------43----------97.84-------.23

Hoot

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone for all that information but I only know the basics of overclocking. I only knew multiplier X FSB, and I only got introduced to CPU core voltage like a month ago. Can somebody please give me a "technical style" overclocking lesson. eg. What all the terms mean.
Hope Someone Can Help Me
Thanks in Advance.
ToF

the best way to learn is to browse the forums and read the threads that look interesting, or even the threads that you don't understand. You WILL understand after you read them :)

Well, I really don't know, but at one point, it may be the bottleneck that's going to hold you back. You should experiement before you go out and spend bigger bucks for a better HSF. Personally, I do think your 1800+ may go higher, and heat maybe an issue. You should consider the AX7 w/ a Delta if you do plan to switch over. The heatsink is the best right now, and it's very cheap. 29.99 for the bare heatsink.

Yodums

I've got a GolbalWin CAK38 with a 38 CFM 6 cm fan on one of my systems running an XP-1700 @ 1.595 and it is 40-41 Degress @ full load 1.85 Vcore. Case temp is 25 degrees. (no ducts)

I don't know how that compares to a WBK38 though.

AudiMan said:
I've got a GolbalWin CAK38 with a 38 CFM 6 cm fan on one of my systems running an XP-1700 @ 1.595 and it is 40-41 Degress @ full load 1.85 Vcore. Case temp is 25 degrees. (no ducts)

I don't know how that compares to a WBK38 though.

Considering that the CAK38 is a whole new copper sink aside from aluminum, the WBK IMHO, would hover around 45 degrees or something then. It also depends on airflow etc !

Well my WBK38 wont be that good, but the fan on it has 37.5CFM, is that good???

Yodums said:

Considering that the CAK38 is a whole new copper sink aside from aluminum, the WBK IMHO, would hover around 45 degrees or something then. It also depends on airflow etc !

Sorry, I'm dumb, what does "IMHO" mean?

ToF said:
Well my WBK38 wont be that good, but the fan on it has 37.5CFM, is that good???

Yes, its the Delta 38. Its very high pitched, and whiny. Its very popular, but what makes it annoying is the noise.

there is actually a website that carries a bunch of fans,, even fans up to over 80 CFM maybe even a hundred and something. They have recordings in MP3 format so you can hear what the fans sound like. It's pretty cool, and it will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

I only wish I can remember the URL.

Wow, now that I think of it,, I have a WBK38 in my system with a 90mm fan. I don't know the CFM on it but its doing 46 degrees full load, 1.80 Vcore on an XP-1700 @ 1614 MHz (31 degrees system temp)

Well, I'm on a very tight budget so I can't really afford to buy a whole new HSF. So I'll have to stick with my WBK38, so in your opinion, so you think my WBK38 will handle an overclocked AXP 1800+ (to 2000+, so that will be extra 133MHz) ?

Do you know what stepping it is?

On my XP-1700 AGOGA and WBK38 HSF I am currently running at 1614, but the powersupply is bottlenecking.

ToF said:
Well, I'm on a very tight budget so I can't really afford to buy a whole new HSF. So I'll have to stick with my WBK38, so in your opinion, so you think my WBK38 will handle an overclocked AXP 1800+ (to 2000+, so that will be extra 133MHz) ?

Yes, it will handle it if you keep you case temperature down and have good airflow through it.

Hoot

Back