• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this work for SetiQueue/Linknsys router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

Hey, I was just wondering if I will be able to run a seti queue server like this on my router.

1 - I forwarded port 5517 to my seti queue machine(static)
2 - I create blah.no-ip.net at no ip.com
3 - I downloaded the client to give updates on my ip address changes (DHCP)

So now if you type in blah.no-ip.net and use port 5517, you should be able to access seti queue, right?

bbdd

unless my caffeine hasn't kicked yet this morning, i think that is fine. just make sure the no-ip client is getting the wan address of the linksys, and not the address of the network card in the computer you are running the no-ip client on.

Lonely Raven

If you traded with me please leave me Heatware Sen
I was working on the exact same thing, with No-Ip.com and
everything.

I got it setup, but then got really busy at work and never got
it finished.

Now I don't even remember the No-IP.com addy I setup! LOL

Tell me how it works, I'm thinking about setting up a webpage
and SETI stuff for myself!

OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

well I think it should be set up
you can try connecting to me at audiman.sytes.net:5517

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
question!

i'm on cable, but w/ a dynamic ip only. could i still setup Queue for other to use too? outside my network?

also, for my own home network, how do i set it up to run?

:rolleyes:

OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

1 - If you have a dynamic IP (just like me) you would have to register for a free account with no-ip.com, then download thier software.
Theri software send updated information to their servers when your ip address has changed, so the dns still points to the right IP address.

2 - If you are using a router, you would have to set up a static IP address, then forward port 5517 (default setiqueue port) to the setiqueue server IP.

You can set it up for the LAN and the WAN that way. It's actually pretty simple once you know how to do it.

If you set it up with your home lan, then you can tell seti driver to send the results to 192.168.1.6:5517 for example.

SetiQueue will only recognize a client once the client itself tries contacting setiqueue.

It's pretty easy.

bbdd

if you have a dynamic ip address and you want to offer a service from your machine to the outside world (like a setiqueue for example), you could try a dynamic dns service instead of a fixed ip address. the DDNS service will allow you to map your changing ip address with a fixed domain name, for example, landshark.no-ip.com

i like and have used no-ip.com for a while to connect via pcanywhere to a remote machine with a dynamic ip address. another good one is dyndns.com, but they are currently not accepting new users. these are not the only ones, just ones i have used for variously in the past.

the best approach is to do like audiman and use a DDNS service combined with a small router/firewall (linksys, netgear, etc.). this will allow people to access your queue from a fixed domain name, then the router will forward the requests to your internal network to the setiqueue machine.

i see audi beat me to the post... :)

OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

Just by a few seconds ;)

Wow, I learned so much about my router today.

I set up a counter strike server on one computer, a seti queue server on the other. I did some videoconferencing on the third computer, and all without using a DMZ host.

And I thought it would be a complicating thing to do. it's very easy.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
tks for the info guys!!

i'll take a look at it later on this week. and u can bet i'll come back to u guys for more questions!! ;)

audiman --> that's what i would like to set up to. a setiqueue server for all my machines (some local, some remote location like work etc), a game server may be, or do some hosting thing for others. btw, how's ur duallie running? still down in single pro? u know we Team Morpheus needs all the WUs we could!!

crunch on everyone!! ;)

OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

Yeah, the duallie is still running on a single Proc. I will upgrade soon with an AGOIA if I can get one or possibly a t-bred when they come out, depending on the price.

I'm also going h20/pelt, so I'll hopefully have a sub 3hr /WU machine @ 2.0 gig with the agoia, or t-bred.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
just got it setup. isn't that hard at all. easier than i thought. but still had some networking problem which was solve after several tried.

tks guys! now i can centralize all my machines into the server. :D

when i go to work 2morrow, i'll try to connect to my Queue server to make sure it's working right and i can connect from outside of my home network. :cool:

OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

I tried accessing the seti queue stats page form work and I am unable to do that. In IE, I typed my IP:5517 and it didn't work.

Landshark, YGPM

OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

I would have to change the subnet on the server computer and not the router, right?

By the way, none of those links worked for me. (I'm at work)

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
AudiMan said:
I would have to change the subnet on the server computer and not the router, right?

By the way, none of those links worked for me. (I'm at work)

no, u don't change the server rig nor ur router. u only "set" the SETIQueue's subnet mask setting to 0.0.0.0 should be in Queue Server or something like that, i forgot. there u set ur ip address and subnet mask.

if u can't access both Queue server, both u & mine, from work....the only thing i could think of is may be they block the port 5517....?? 'cos i have no problem to go to ur Queue server page.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
no, that's the setting from my server. u should set the subnet mask to make it look like that 0.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 on urs.

also, make sure u did set ur router to forward port5517 to ur queue server too.