• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this work, or am I up a creek?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaseendicott

Registered
Ok, I'm getting a laptop for graduation and I have decided upon this one from newegg.com

ASUS F3
and I want to put in this to get 2 gigs G.Skill 1 Gb

I also want to format the laptop because I don't want vista on it and would like to have it on my desktop so I can get a DX10 graphics card in the future. I would put my legal XP home on the laptop, and I was wondering if I could put the copy of Vista Home Premium on my desktop?

The laptop shouldn't come with Vista activated, so by my thinking, I can find an install of Vista Home Premium off bit torrent and then put in my legal key.

But I don't really know very much and any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
well, from my experience, this won't work. Most vendors like hp for example have special oem cdroms which will accept the cd key they give you. But a regular vanilla vista install won't take the key.

Why not just use Vista? With 2GB of RAM it will purr like a kitten. Most software works or has a updated version that works with Vista. It is a laptop, you wont be doing hardcore gaming on it, so why not use Vista?

Oroka Sempai said:
Why not just use Vista? With 2GB of RAM it will purr like a kitten. Most software works or has a updated version that works with Vista. It is a laptop, you wont be doing hardcore gaming on it, so why not use Vista?
Well, My desktop is quite a bit better and someday I will look to advance that with a directx 10 card, and having Vista on it would prevent me from having buy a copy later.

And having XP running on my laptop would make it faster overall and in games.

Oroka Sempai said:
Im sure if you turn off all the bling, you will get around the same performance as XP, maybe a bit less.
But I still won't have Vista on my desktop for my Directx 10 video card to take advantage of.

It's not so much that I don't want Vista on my laptop, but rather that I want Vista on my desktop for my future gaming ventures.

So would it work if I tried to switch the operating systems?

Last edited:
See if you can get a retail copy of vista with the lappy, they may have that option and then you can do what you need.

DorianBrytestar said:
I tried to respond yesterday to this. You are trying very hard to stay "legal" but you really can't do what you are asking according to licensing stuff from Microsoft.

Exactly, no legal means of transferring OEM licenses between machines, even within the same manufacturing family (like HP lapto pto HP desktop, etc).

Back