• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will we see any NEW CPU market competitors in 2004?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eg1441

Registered
I am hoping somoeone will say yes...

So, will another CPU maker penetrate the desktop market and gain a market share of atleast 5% in 2004?

I know there's all these rumours that China will start chip production sometime soon.

It's just, you know, it kinda sucks having only two choices... especially when one has 85% of the market.

I really cannot see that happening... Intel has a huge ammount of the market already, and amd is starting to gain a small ammount of ground. So i really doubt anything like that happening.

We can all hope Via comes out with powerful chips, can't we?

And, IBM has a 5% market penetration, don't they? I thought Apple was 5% of the market, and they use IBM chips in the G5s.

VIA will release a new 100MHz C4 and it will beat the new 6GHz Pentium4 because of its new X11MX instruction set!

But seriously, IBM is probably gonna come down hard with the XBox using its proccessors therefore having windows running on it.

Propilot said:
Just curious, what ever happend to Cyrex?

Cyrix was boughten out by VIA and VIA used Cyrix's innovations to create the C3 and Eden series of CPUs. Cyrix CPUs were good CPUs but unfortuneatly, the competition left them in the dust with price and demand.

The Cyrix P166+ 133MHz CPU was awesome. It had more performance than a Pentium 133MHz at only a third of the cost.

OC-Master

C3's are mostly used in modders boxes now :/ you buy them soldered onto the motherboard.

they also have very low voltages. Also consider Transmeta Crusoe's which get into many light-weight laptops because they require VERY little cooling :).

My sister has a Transmeta in her laptop. 533Mhz and it runs Windows XP. so far only the sis graphics in her laptop are disapointing. (the 124 3dmarks 2001. lol that was funny!) but it runs the sims which is what she wants.

hey man, i got xp pro running on a 75 mhz computer. i dont like xp, but i have to give it credit where credit is due.
my 133 it loads xp as fast as this 500 loads 98se

I think that if any new corporation enters the market, it will certainly be VIA, They are the only ones with market experience in the desktop area other than AMD and Intel. VIA processors are actually very good, its just that they have different goals, good power usage and heat to performance ratio. If you have a computer you want to run with low power and really cool, you get a via. They can live on like 5 watts, makes my 100 watt athlon xp look pretty demanding. They are in a special niche of the market. I am actually thinking about getting one, to put a computer in my car, plenty of processing power for what i want to do, and its cool/power-efficient.
It would be nice to see VIA come out of nowhere inbetween the hyperthreading and 64-bit, though with intel and amd entering another battle, it would be folly for via to try to take on both. haha, i said folly.

edit: I do remember the cyrix's, my friend had one. I think it was 266mhz, but my k6-2 300mhz whooped him in about every benchmark. There once was 3 major companies in the processor making business for desktops, it could happen again. Via is making more low cost processors though, i don't know if they will create a more expensive processor to compete with amd and intel, i think they are happy where they are.

Last edited:
What about this China rumour? Would that mean the Chinese government would fund building some fabs in China?

Seeing as I don't know much about this - where are the main CPU fabs located these days? The only thing I know is there are a few in Germany and the rest are in the US aren't they?

correct me if i'm wrong but AMD isn't much more than 5% so any new chip maker in one year getting 5% marketshare would be simply amazing.

Amd and Intel is like a 20/80- 30/70.

Thats mainly due to companys like Dell who only use P4's. (GAY!)

About 1-2 years ago, I was reading on a Russian company who created a chip that would run speeds of 2ghz+ with little to no heat created. (2ghz was alot then). I dont know if it was every produced or what?

Via i think is happy making there chipsets for mobo's. If you think about it, thats a HUGE cash market.

Now Nvidia, and Via are the main AMD chipset makers, and Intel and VIA are the main Intel chipset makers.

But that would be cool to see a cpu that doesnt need a fan on the heat sink like my old 386/486's.

i doubt amd has 20-30% marketshare. i'm thinking about 10-12% at most.

anyone have factual numbers?

A bit dated but useful info nonetheless. THe power of google :)

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-1001084.html

30% was a bit high, but 20% is about right, since AMD has 16.6% of the marketshare (they lost some to intel apparently). Not too shabby considering the significantly different situation AMD is in compared to Intel in raw power to push out new chips (money... yes money is power here r &D = time + money...).

On the topic of the thread... not really. Macs have a very focused userbase thats not very likely to expand. Via is the same way as is Transmeta. Even if they were to expand significantly into the desktop market (since I'm assuming thats what you meant), they probably will have very little effect. There are a lot of CPU producers out there already, its just that you don't readily see their products on shelves of stores or even in most online stores.

Back