• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Willamette @ 2V?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Willamette2170

Hi! I got a Pentium IV Willamette 1,5GHz @ 2170MHz. Is there any possibility to get about 2 - 2,1 Volt to overclock more? I already postet in german forums, but hasn't got any answer yet. I think there is no chance to do it by the VID-MOD. Maybe you know some Mods for my Willamette or my MSI i845-Ultra-ARU to get higher then 1,85 Volt.

THX,
Sorry for Mistakes

looktall

that's an impressive overclocker for a willamette. :D
good work.

i don't know how much higher you'd go though. that's getting pretty close to the limit of the core isn't it?

i guess to get 2v or more you'd need a mobo that allowed it.
unless the VID mod does work on these chips.

OP
W

Willamette2170

The CPU gets only a little unstable @2250MHz. So I think that 2 Volt or more should help. I also know its much for a Willamette Core, nobody had believed me first (It was in January 02).
Unfortunally 2170 Willamette-MHZ aren't very good to play ut2003 at high framerates! :(

(leader of the oc-database :D )

batboy

Senior Moment
That is an impressive overclock for a Willamette CPU. If this is a socket 478 Willamette, then I can help you do a VID pin wire trick. The default CPU voltage is 1.75v, right? Also, I must caution that to increase the voltage this much will require exceptional cooling. I'll assume you already have good cooling since you sound like an experienced overclocker. I'll do a little research and get back to you.

OP
W

Willamette2170

Yes, it is a Socket478 P4. The default Voltage is 1,75V. I think the cooling isn't a problem. I've got a good "selfmade watercooling" and know, that the heat isn't the reason for getting unstable, because I also reached 2170MHz with the boxed cooler.
It was great, if you could help me! :)

batboy

Senior Moment
Ok, I've done some checking and that mobo is a socket 478. Assuming your CPU has a default vcore of 1.75v, then VID pins 0, 1, 3, and 4 are already internally connected. The only thing left that you can do is connect VID2 to one of the other VID pins (like VID3 or VID1) to give you a modified vcore of 1.85v. I'm hoping that since your mobo appears to allow 0.1v increase above the default vcore, then you'll now be able to increase voltage up to 1.95v. Not quite 2.0v, but that's the best you can hope for in this situation. Good luck and watch those temps.

OP
W

Willamette2170

Thats my Problem. I already done the VID Mod. The only thing that has changed was my default voltage: It is know 1,85V instead of 1,75V, but i'm not able to change the user defined voltage to a value above 1,85! :mad: F**k MSI

So I have to try any other Mods that could help. Perhaps a BIOS update can help?!?!

Thanks

batboy

Senior Moment
Sorry, I did not understand. Then your mobo must have a 1.85v limit. I've heard that you can mod the Abit mobos, but I don't know anything about the MSI mobos. Maybe go to the MSI motherboard section and do a search or post the question there. You can try upgrading the BIOS, but I would not hold your breath that it will work. Maybe you can find someone to hack into the BIOS and modify it to allow more voltage settings?

markodude

Hmmm you have problems there mate - on Abit motherboards the BIOS allows you to add 5, 10 or 15% to the default voltage, so if you do the VID trick you can get 1.85v +15%.
Your MSI board will really need to be modified to get the extra voltage to the CPU. I am sure if you find out what IC is used on this board it will be possible to solder a pot on there and adjust the voltage...
BTW what is OC-Tool?

OP
W

Willamette2170

Ok, I will try a BIOS update. But I'm sure it won't help and before I solder a pot on my IC, like on my Gf, I will buy a Northwood 2266MHz. It's too much work for about 100-150MHz.

OC-Tool is only a little Tool known in germany. In future I will publish ver. 2.0 with a lot of interesting features, which are very useful for overclocking and Modding:

mirko_3

nah, I doubt a bios update would help at all...
i have a 1.6 willy myself @ 2133, though it can go higher...
On my Asus P4S333 (with the P4S533 Bios, btw) there's a +.2 volt jumper, though it works strangely... anyway, with it enabled I can get 1.95v...

can anyone tell me whether willamettes are more resistant to electromigration than northwoods? That is, I could technically reach 2.05v with the pin mod, but I think It'd succumb in a matter of weeks... I'm at 1.75v stable, fsb133 right now

mirko_3

wow, that high? well, thanks for the info, I'll sure do the mod then. as for you, I doubt you can get a higher voltage on that mobo... unless you find a modified bios out there...
good luck!

batboy

Senior Moment
The Willamette will take more abuse than the Northwood, but if you run really high voltages like that, then you'll need excellent cooling too. You can still overvolt anddamage a Willy if you're not careful.

mirko_3

I have some homemade watercooling that usually keeps the cpu in the 30-40 range... so that's not a problem; thing is, there aren't many willamettes out there, so it's hard to find people who may have raised the voltage at 2.1; It's just that I'm somewhat skeptical that it can support 2.1v without dying quickly...

mirko_3

Shauns--
actually it's quite rare to find willamettes that overclock to fsb 133... If you look at the cpu database (there's a link on the main page at overclockers.com) you'll find that the average 1.6 willamette overclock is 1900...

As for voltage >1.9, I'll try that as soon as I get my watercooling back up: I found a leak yesterday!! So, monday or tuesday I should post the results (or not post them if the cpu fries...)