• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

willy to northwood swap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grande Juan

Just bought a 1.6a for a future build, and since it's gonna be a few days before I can get the mobo and memory. I thought why not stick it in my current rig, run a few benches see how it stacks up to the willy sort of thing. Since I'm new at this I was wondering do I just take the willy out and stick in the northwood? Or is there more to it than that?

Inteleron

does the socket style match? aren't all (i'm not positive i'm actully asking someone that knows :D) willys 423 and northys all 478 ...if that is the case it wont happen, correct? :D

OP
G

Grande Juan

Of course they're both 478pins and my mobo supports either chip. I'm just wondering what, if any problems can I look forward to? Things like the northwood running less voltage, will this automaticly change in the BIOS, or will I have to manually configure it? Thanks:cool:

Last edited:

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
There are 478 willys but the mobo bios has to also support the northwood along with having a 478 socket. So update the bios if needed.

Sorry, you replied when I was.

You should use ASIII on the HS.

batboy

Senior Moment
The Willies were either socket 423 or socket 478, but the Northies are only socket 478.

The main thing of concern is that the Northwoods need a newer BIOS that will support them.

I'd flash the BIOS with an update before trying to swap CPUs. Then it should work ok.

Hang on to that Willy CPU until after you get your new mobo, you might need it to flash the BIOS if the Northy won't boot.

Last edited:
OP
G

Grande Juan

Thanks batboy, but I'm just wondering, again I am a newb, could'nt I load the bios to disc, then boot from that? If I ever find it, if it exsists. Or should I just sit on my hands for the next week, when I get my P4T? From the manual "The motherboard comes with a surface mount 478-pin Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) socket. This socket is secifically designed for the Intel Pentium 4 478/Northwood Processor."

Last edited:

funnyperson1

Grande Juan said:
"The motherboard comes with a surface mount 478-pin Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) socket. This socket is secifically designed for the Intel Pentium 4 478/Northwood Processor."

*sniff* something smells like male bovine excretion....

about the bios flash, read this guide it really helped me out the first time i flashed a bios...

http://www.overclockers.com/tips120/index04.asp

OP
G

Grande Juan

Thanks funnperson1 for the info. I have read that guide several times. I have no problem flashing my bios as the mobo came with software that makes that incredibly easy, although I've only done it once. If I understand batboy correctly though, he says 1-Flash bios for northwood. 2-turn comp. off replace willy with northwood and reboot. Right or wrong? I hope you mean the BS is from asus, as I am on the level. Where's Yodums when you need him;)

funnyperson1

Grande Juan said:
Thanks funnperson1 for the info. I have read that guide several times. I have no problem flashing my bios as the mobo came with software that makes that incredibly easy, although I've only done it once. If I understand batboy correctly though, he says 1-Flash bios for northwood. 2-turn comp. off replace willy with northwood and reboot. Right or wrong? I hope you mean the BS is from asus, as I am on the level. Where's Yodums when you need him;)

yes i was referring to the "specially designed ZIF socket":D
and sorry bout pointing you to the guide, i misread your response to batboy...and yes your steps seem quite correct....

OP
G

Grande Juan

funnyperson1, in no why did I mean to sound sarcastic or ungratful. I often overlook the obvious and appriciate all helpful responses. Sorry if I offended you.

funnyperson1

Grande Juan said:
funnyperson1, in no why did I mean to sound sarcastic or ungratful. I often overlook the obvious and appriciate all helpful responses. Sorry if I offended you.

i didnt percieve your response as being sarcastic so dont worry:beer:

also as most of my friends know, i am unoffendable:eek: ;)

OP
G

Grande Juan

Well I can't seem to find a BIOS to address this issue, tech support is as of yet unresponsive, and its raining. So I think I'll just stick this baby in and see what happens, hell whats the worst case scenario, surely my whole system won't fry. All throughout the manual it states this mobo was designed specificly for the northwood chip. I guess I'll just blame ASUS if I start smelling smoke.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
I just plopped my socket 478 2G Williamette out and plopped my new socket 478 1.8a Northwood in......Simple as that in my situation, bios recognized the right voltage.....Glad that Willy is out of my system :beer: Literally

That willy was one hot tomato around 75watts compared to the the Northwood at just under 50watts
:argue:

batboy

Senior Moment
I don't know about the Asus BIOS, but if you use the most recent one for your motherboard, you should have Northwood support.

OP
G

Grande Juan

Okay flashed 1009 ver. bios and swapped chips no problems yet. Running @ 1.68 and 13c cooler, man I'm really going to like this chip.:) For the what its worth department, benches 20 points higher unclocked than my willy @1.81, 3Dmark2001 default.

Last edited: