• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 from Laptop to Desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

Ok guys I have a question here. I am using an old Aspire 5334 laptop that came originally with Windows 7 Home. I did the upgrade to Win 10 after installing an SSD. The setting says I am using 64 Bit Windows 10 Home.

I am building two PC's at the moment, and was curious, can I just take this SSD and put it into one of the desktops and have at it just update the drivers for the hardware on the desktop? Or put it on the desktop and do a clean install? There is nothing really on here I need/want to keep so a clean install is not an issue at all if it will do the trick?

This laptop is old and will see very little if any use once the desktops are built, so my idea was to load Linux back on it like before and leave it for my oldest daughter. Then using the Win 10 from here would save me from having to buy a key for the desktop.........

Appreciate the help
:thup:

Do a clean install, during OS installation a lot of little settings/files/keys/etc are put in to place based on the hardware that it sees at that time. You can try doing a sysprep command to basically wipe it those settings/drivers from it though (that's essentially what enterprises do when they create the images for their computers). But you may run into weird licensing issues/etc. I think the safer bet would be to swap the SSD and do a fresh install and see where you end up.

Do a clean install, during OS installation a lot of little settings/files/keys/etc are put in to place based on the hardware that it sees at that time. You can try doing a sysprep command to basically wipe it those settings/drivers from it though (that's essentially what enterprises do when they create the images for their computers). But you may run into weird licensing issues/etc. I think the safer bet would be to swap the SSD and do a fresh install and see where you end up.

Ok perfect thanks, let's see if it works. Appreciate the help. :thup: I have the product key too from the original win 7 which was used to update to Win 10......

If the Windows 7 that you upgraded to Win 10 was OEM then no you can't use it on any machine except the orginial computer. Win 10 ties to the hardware (mobo)

Back