• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIN 10 installation problem "windows cannot read the <productkey> setting from t

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainthrall

WIN 10 installation problem "windows cannot read the <productkey> setting from t

I just put together a new computer.
Using my laptop, I bought a win 10 key, and went to Microsoft's get-windows page. This one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/?wa=wsignin1.0

I downloaded the media creation tool, created a USB drive, and booted with it on my new computer(for a clean installation). Immediately, I got an error message saying:

Windows cannot read the <productkey> setting from the unattend answer file.

At that point I can only click the "ok" button or the "x" - both cause my computer to restart. Then I just boot back into the same error message. I googled this issue and found dozens of various threads and forum posts, but none of them have any type of explanation or solution.

Any ideas?

Try reformatting the USB stick and recreating the install media. Its one of the steps I would take anyway.

You said you bought a key for Win10.... not an upgrade install from an earlier version like Win7/8/8.1? Perhaps the media creation tool is only intended for upgrade installs and there is a differnet place to get install media for retail Win10? Something about your error seems like it might be looking for a product key to already be there and it isnt.

thanks for the tips!

I actually solved the problem. All I had to do was eject the DVD in my dvd drive and reset, then suddenly everything worked perfectly. Weird...

I probably shouldn't mention this, but before removing the DVD, I tried creating fresh USB install discs (3 times) and yes, each one took an hour or more to make. I would delete this thread so I don't broadcast my stupidity across the interwebs, but at some point another person may encounter the same problem I had.

EJECT ALL OF YOUR DISCS, CDS, FLOPPYS, BACKUPS, ETC ETC BEFORE YOU INSTALL WINDOWS 10 PEOPLE!

when you install an operating system you should only have the drive that you want to boot from installed because windows can, and often does, install part of itself on another drive it can access.

thanks for the tips!

I actually solved the problem. All I had to do was eject the DVD in my dvd drive and reset, then suddenly everything worked perfectly. Weird...

I probably shouldn't mention this, but before removing the DVD, I tried creating fresh USB install discs (3 times) and yes, each one took an hour or more to make. I would delete this thread so I don't broadcast my stupidity across the interwebs, but at some point another person may encounter the same problem I had.

EJECT ALL OF YOUR DISCS, CDS, FLOPPYS, BACKUPS, ETC ETC BEFORE YOU INSTALL WINDOWS 10 PEOPLE!

You are a saint among mere mortals! Thank you for leaving this up. I just spent a few hours at work trying to get Windows 10 to install, then I found your thread. Thank you very much!

I think it was assuming you had used optical media to install the OS because you had a disk in the drive. The installation process go cornfused!

Mate, thank you so much for this tip. It saved my life. I joined a few minutes ago just to say thank you. Cheers

Back