• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIN/2K Can I rearrange the drive letters?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malpine Walis

Disabled
I just added a burner to my main rig and my drives are now rearranged in a way that I would like to change if there is a way. Perhaps I could redesignate a low lettered drive to something higher than what I actually have and then the free lower letters will allow me to move the designations around?

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
You can rename any or all the drives except the partition w2k in on. You just go from the administarative tool on the control panel into computer management and then disk managemant.

stool

Fairly straightforward process. You'll have to first assign one drive to a an unused letter, restart, and do the process again, until you get your drive letters where you want. One big drawback is that any shortcuts, etc. pointing to that drive will have to be edited to reflect the changes you make.

OP
M

Malpine Walis

Disabled
Yes, it went pretty much the way I was hoping. I did have to do one more reboot than I expected but I always like to hear from someone else before I head into a project thatI have not tried before.

Thanks guys.