• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 oem and anytime upgrades

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harblar

Registered
Hey all. got question I haven't been able to find an answer to anywhere yet.

So I bought Win 7 prof oem for an HTPC I was putting together. I decided to wipe my main system (also a home built) and install win 7 on that as well. Now I'm running into the activation problem where it says I need a new key for my main computer. Ok, I can accept that... However I don't really want to shell out another $140 if I don't have to.

So right now my main rig only has a few days before activation is required and I was going over my options and my question is can the anytime upgrade be used on an unactivated version of win7? Also would I be able to use the Home Premium to Professional version even though I already have the professional version installed?

Basically I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get a second key for my second install.

Any thoughts?

DaveHCYJ

I would assume the cheapest way would be another copy of oem. Unless you are a student and have and old copy of XP or Vista laying around, in which case you can get the cheap student upgrade (google it or seach these forums).

To use anytime upgrade you already have to have a copy of Win7 on the machine. By have a copy I mean have an activated licensed copy. And even then if its Pro you could only upgrade to Ultimate.