• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win to Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
Alrighty, I am going to be building myself a new comp with only linux on it. Thing is, it's going to be probly an XP2000+, so it's gonna me nice and fast, but I'm starting to really use 3ds max alot.

Since 3ds Max uses DirectX, might it be possible to run it through WineX? I've played games through WineX on my 750 duron and they run as good if not better than ones on my P3 866, so a comp with an XP2000+ should run everything, even 3ds Max, i'm thinking.

Titan386

Wine is weird, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it kinda works but you have random crashes or general odd behavior. The only way to tell if your program will work under wine with your machine is to try it. What seems to work for others might not work for you, or so I have found.

OP
PhoenixMDM

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
I've had extremely good luck with Wine, and even better luck with WineX, so I'm probably going to be able to run it.
I'll post my success (or failure) in about a week or two.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
Sorry for the misinformation. I thought that Wine provided an emulated Windows environment (or at least the DLLs to let everything work) and that it let OpenGL games run. While I knew that Direct3D games ran on it, I thought that that was software emulation or something and therefore not supported totally. Thanks for the update, though.

Z

XWRed1

Well, it is software emulation of D3D. It wraps D3D to OpenGL. Thats what Microsoft does in a sense, except they aren't wrapping anything, they *ARE* D3D and then they just tell the video card to do whatever in D3D through its driver.

What WineX does, counts for provision of D3D to Windows apps running inside it, I think.