• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2000 Server Question. PDC???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drdoug26

Hi all:

I a newbie when it comes to Win2000 Server. I've always used NT4.0 for our office server but finally our main clinic application is compatible with Windows 2000 Server.

I just set it up for the first time and am wondering why there is no option to set it up as a PDC (primary domain controller)?

What is the compatible option that I should use???

Thanks

Drdoug

The initial install will simply set up a member server. To set it up as a Domain Controller, rather than Member Server, install Active Directory, it will assume certain Master roles in a new AD tree or forest. These roles can be moved later. There is no true PDC in a W2K domain, though there can be a PDC emulator for mixed mode domains.

Active Directory install errors

I've been trying to install ' Active Directory' but I keep getting error messages saying "the network location can not be reached"?

I'm stumped. When I re-formatted and then installed Server 2000, I was hooked up to my home network. Would that have anything to do with this. I've restarted w/ the network cable unpluged rrom the server but got that same message when I tried to install 'active directory'.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I also do not need DHCP running for my Router serves up DHCP.

Thanks

Doug

drdoug26 said:
Hi all:

I a newbie when it comes to Win2000 Server. I've always used NT4.0 for our office server but finally our main clinic application is compatible with Windows 2000 Server.

I just set it up for the first time and am wondering why there is no option to set it up as a PDC (primary domain controller)?

What is the compatible option that I should use???

Thanks

Drdoug

There is no option for a PDC, because in a Windows2000 network, there are no PDCs. Everything is just a DC. Everything is constantly replicated through Active Directory (regular stuff in 5 minute intervals, security settings/user stuff instantly).

Back