• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2k errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

Well, this started a couple of weeks ago, I get it about once every 2 or 3 days, and I just donno what's causing it. Win2k Pro has started to get unstable for no reason at all : every 2 or 3 days, I get those f***ing BSODs and STOP errors, and it's always the same ones, either IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I noted the last error message I got, it's the "not less or equal" one :

*** STOP : 0X0000000A (0x0000001C, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8044E696)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** Adress 8044E696 base at 80400000, DateStamp 3d366b8b -ntoskrnl.exe

Any help with these ? Cuz those random crashes are starting to really **** me off, I mean my HP's been up for about 2 weeks now none-stop (no reboot, no hibernation, no nothing), and is still chugging strong (it's on WinXP btw) please ? :)

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Overclocked?
Temps?
Voltages?

Notice any changes in any of the above recently?

I usually only get those messages when ambient temp goes up and my chip gets too hot:(

repo man11

I started getting the same sort of errors when my 8K3A decided that my generic 400 watt PSU wasn't adequate. How's your voltage?

OP
M

minoukat

rogerdugans said:
Overclocked?
Temps?
Voltages?

Notice any changes in any of the above recently?

I usually only get those messages when ambient temp goes up and my chip gets too hot:(

Not OCed, donno temps (no temp sensor on this board, crappy Compaq mobo), donno voltages (2.4v default cpu voltage, donno for the other lines)

Oni --- My hard drive is a Maxtor 40 GB something (too lazy to check), but it's pretty new (got it a little before summer), so I doubt it'd be dying on me (or at least I hope so, cuz I don't really have da bling bling to replace it ... and it's OEM, so the dealer's warranty is up by now, donno if the manufacturer's is still good though)

stool

If you determine that its the drive, you should be able to use a manufacturer's warranty. To check if its the drive, get the Maxtor diagnostic software from the sticky in the Storage section.
Have you added any new, updated, or different software lately?

OP
M

minoukat

last thing I added was the new 3Dfx Underground v1.09 BETA 2 (the latest, donno which one it is ...) drivers. I just removed them today, I'll have to wait a couple of days before I see if it's any different or whatnot

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
Got to agree with Vovan. Definitely run a RAM test. It's one of the primary things that I've seen cause those errors.

OP
M

minoukat

ok, 3Dfx underground had nothing to do with the problems, as I got another STOP error today :mad: WHILE WRITING A F***ING TEXT ! any other ideas ? I don't wanna format again, so that's out of the question. Maybe, if it's for a very last resort, I could paste back a backup of the drive from a while ago (first day I got the thing working good, when there were no apps or anything installed). The reason I don't wanna format is simple : I have some memory problems on this computer, where my virtual memory gets eaten up by Windows for no reason. Tho, this time it installed correctly, and htere wasn't any such problem.

Vovan

minoukat said:
not memory related, at least based on this test, everything was passed succesfully

Use multiply tests and check it on another comp! there can be a damaged chip in the stick!
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a NTs Interrupt remaping routine, also Interrupts....
, it can be a CPU, a microkernel part, video driver, networking device, memory, chipset..... disable Kernel caching to prevent writing the kernel to disk -> if no fails its not disk and Southbridge.
Do a overinstallation.

Pntgrd

I was geting the same errors awhile back. After 7 reinstalls of the o/s, drivers, etc and many sleepless nites over 10 days of screwing with it, I found it was a BAD stick of Crucial ram. It was 1 1/2 years old and it would pass any ram test I through at it. It would just get errors when writing large amounts of data, then the BSOD.

Guero

Pntgrd is right on. I just had a problem when I put an extra stick of RAM in an old system. Either the motherboard doesn't like it in that slot or it is bad. I have more investigating to do!

OP
M

minoukat

Well, it could be a bad memory (though I hope it isn't). I took out one of the sticks of memory from this comp to plug it in my other (64MB, needed this to play a game). Now I put it back in the compaq, and the problems appear ...

UPDATE : well, I just reformatted, so I'll see if that does anything, I still have a backup of my old thing (stupid program erased my good backup, soo I have to use the bugged down new version :mad: :rolleyes: )