• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2k installation problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

regger

Registered
Well actually only one problem: I can't get the damn thing to install.

WesternDigital 30gig HD
Mobile 2500+
Shuttle AN35N-Ultra
Geil DDR 512 megs
Old ATI 7200 graphics card

Those are the specs here is the trouble.

Fired it up for the first time and went into the bios. Told it to boot from CD, no prob. Continue boot goes into the Win2k setup. Go through the installation screens yada yada yada, all is going great (a little too great I was thinking...).

Formats the partition, tells me it finished installing the necessary files and it will reboot to finish installation GREEEEAT.

Reboots, goes through that black screen with the white progress bar on bottom super quick. Gets to the next screen with the color display and blue progress bar and freezes... :temper:

Any ideas? I have tried to reformat a few times and always gets stalled there, usually around the 60 - 75% mark.

TIA for any help

could be your board, memory or HD...wut i would do is try a diff HD..if a no go then a diff mem stick....if no go the another board...this will eliminate problems

Is this a new HDD, and if so...how did you prepare the drive after you installed it? Did you use Fdisk, WD's software that came with the drive, or an aftermarket partitioning program like Partition Magic to create the partitions--format--and set the active partition? If it's an older drive that's already been partitioned and formatted, is the primary volume formatted using NTFS or FAT32...and has it been set as active?

Thanks for the replies.

could be your board, memory or HD...wut i would do is try a diff HD..if a no go then a diff mem stick....if no go the another board...this will eliminate problems

I only have 1 drive and the mobo is finding it as it is writing the temporary installation files there. The drive is an old one that I was using and decided to wipe out and use with this new setup (was working 8 hours ago). The memory should be working fine as it shows up on POST (all 512mb of it). The board I guess could be the problem although it reaches POST, allows me to make BIOS changes, etc... Just getting into the 2nd stage of Win2k setup is the problem.

Is this a new HDD, and if so...how did you prepare the drive after you installed it? Did you use Fdisk, WD's software that came with the drive, or an aftermarket partitioning program like Partition Magic to create the partitions--format--and set the active partition? If it's an older drive that's already been partitioned and formatted, is the primary volume formatted using NTFS or FAT32...and has it been set as active?

The drive used to be in an old rig. It was working previously today. I did not do anything to get it ready for the move. Just hooked it up. During the 1st stage of Win2k installation I told it to delete the partition, recreate a new one, and install windows there. I did not use any 3rd party software (other than Win2k). I formatted using NTFS.

Oh yeah one other minor weird thing. During POST it shows my processor as being a mobile athlon 1200 MhZ. Could that have something to do with the problems I am having?

link1305 said:
I don't know if that has to do with the problems, but.....you have to increase the FSB in the BIOS from 100 to 133, I believe.

haha !!!!

Not sure if that setting did it or.... I changed the memory settings to be 2.5-3-3-6 as the newegg description said (the mobo had em set at 2.5-4-4-8.

It was either the memory or the FSB change that did the trick but it is now installing devices. Now I just hope it doesn't freeze doing this. :temper:

I will check back either later tonight or else tomorrow.

Thanks again for the replies.

Back