• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k, two installs, or two user profiles?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dropadrop

I'm currently re-installing windows 2000, and I need to have two diferant boots.

One of them will be for making music. I want to disable all networking on that, and optimise the services so that the os uses as little ram as possible.

The second install is for general use, so I need networking and all the normal stuff.

Do you think it's better to just make two separate installs, or can you just create users with diferant hardware profiles / services running. I have enough space on my hardisk, so I'd like to choose the one that would keep me running stable for the longest possible time...

stool

I think that thetwo installs would suit your purposes better. Most of the services install before a choice of user.

nerd4life

right click my computer. properties. click the advanced tab and the button "settings" under startup and recovery. that look like it ???

OP
dropadrop

dropadrop

I allready edited the boot.ini file. I just got confused for a moment... I did a search on my computer for boot.ini, and it did'nt find it. (even though I had show all files selected) Then I found somewhere that I should just select start -> run -> c:\boot.ini and got it to show. :D