• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2K3 OS RAID Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jfdelacruz

Setup is as follows:

C2D @ 2.6Ghz
MSI P35 NEO with 5 internal SATA ports
2x 200GB 7200RPM IDE (OS RAID1) - boot
3x 250GB 7200RPM SATA (OS RAID5) - storage

I already know that if the motherboard fails, that I can simply transfer the boot drives (one or both) to another computer and start it up where it left off. But what I want to know is what happens to my storage drives on OS RAID5? can I simply swap it with a new board (different or the same as long as it has a 1 PATA port and 3 SATA ports), plug it in with regards to SATA port assignment and have a new configuration that's basically the same as the original except with a different board...

or am I simply FUBARed and it's non-recoverable?:confused:

Mpegger

If your using the software Raid built into Win2k3, you simply transfer the drives over the the new board. I'm not sure if you need to have them in the same order, but Win2k3 will recognize the drives are in Raid format and be able to use them. Even if the board uses a different chipset controller, or if you have to use an add-on card for more availble ports, it will still work because the Raid functionality is being done by the OS itself.

I plan on running a software Raid setup myself to get beyond the 2TB partition limit.

OP
J

jfdelacruz

thanks! its good to know that Im not ever locked out of using a single brand of anything even though it takes a performance hit compared to hardware setups...

this means easier recovery too compared to hardware setups