• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 RAID??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Headstand

Was setting up a new HDD in Windows Disk Manager for Win7 and Instead of new volume, I saw "New Simple Volume", "New Spanned Volume", "New Striped Volume", New Mirrored Volume and New RAID-5 Volume".

I set my 2 500s to Mirror and I am gonna try it out. Has anyone else used the WIN7 RAID? If so, any pros/cons??

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Windows "RAID" has been around for years, and the topic has been covered many times over.

Pros: easy to move from one machine to another, cheap, quick, easy.

Cons: not quite as fast as hardware-based RAID, not as reliable, requires a working Windows installation to be accessible.

If you're looking to load games a few seconds faster or you want to have a passive "backup" of your mom's hard drive then Windows RAID will do the job, but for corporate/enterprise or heavy-duty video editing applications, and RAID card is the better choice.

Last edited:
OP
H

Headstand

Cool, thanks. This is just a form of backup for the wife's pictures and misc crap. I am going to setup my old box as a backup/storage box, but I would like to have a little redundancy in case I lose a disk. Gonna run daily backup also, just to be sure.