• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Upgrade DVD - Only one choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I've been reading here and there that the Win7 upgrade DVD comes in a specific version, 32 or 64 bit only, even though the key will work with either version. I just got my upgrade DVDs from Acer for my laptop and the Win7 DVD has printed on it that the version included is only 32bit. I am unsure how to verify this, but if its true and I cannot install Win7 64bit, how can I legally obtain a copy of the 64bit install? I don't care about having to wipe the drive, as theres nothing important on the laptop that can't easily be replaced, but I do want to use Win7 64bit, not 32bit.

Also, my current main system running WinXP will be upgraded in the near future to Win7, 64bit as well. If I get an OEM upgrade disc (cheapest route), do I have to specifically purchase the 64bit version to avoid the same problem?

johnz

From this forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com...l/thread/62c0735f-e4b5-4026-84d6-517dee757569 ...

Evilonenz,

Since you are only missing the 64 bit disc and already have a product key, you should only need to get the 64 bit disc. You can contact:

Microsoft Supplemental Parts Department at 1-800-360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

If you need additional assistance, feel free to contact us at 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786).

Cheers

For your second question, oem discs are bit specific. If you want 64bit, you have to specifically buy it.

raIDERgeek

I got a family pack and the 64bit disc didn't come with it!! I had to order over the phone a week ago still haven't got it!

OP
Mpegger

Mpegger

I want to avoid having to order a disc as well, and instead download an ISO. No telling how long it would take snail mail to get here. Sucks that the OEM versions don't include both 32 and 64 bit installs. If for some reason I had to go with the 32bit version after trying to 64bit, I'd again have to somehow get ahold of a 32bit disc (unless this DVD I have right now would work).

visitkans

Your friends copy will work, i had the same issue with my Acer notebook, they sent me a oem 32 bit disc, just used my ultimate 64bit disc with the ei.cfg hack to install the oem version and the key works fine with the 64bit.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
If you know someone that has a 64 bits DVD that is of correct type (Home Premium, Pro, Business) as your Win 7 key is, you could borrow the DVD and use your own key.

It may work, it may not work, OEM key is often refused when you used retail XP and Vista CD with OEM key.