• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win98 memory error. Gotta love it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(I wasn't sure where to put this. Of the available options, this seemed like it would get the most viewers, so here it is. Sorry for any inconvenience, mod's and admin's. Put it where you like...)

I just installed Win98, and was ready to install Win98se update (I have a one-step win98se install in the mail, but got impatient). I first decided to defrag it, but when I started defrag, I got "not enough memory, close programs and try again" (or similar). This is odd, because there was NOTHING else on the computer -- not even mainboard drivers. I continued playing w/ it, and found I CAN install anything, but the system WON'T run scandisk (in windows), defrag, and Sandra. It does run 3DMark, CacheMan, and scandisk in dos. I've read some things about similar problems, but I didn't see anwsers that really fit this situation; I would like to be a little more sure of the problem before I try to fix it. So here's the pc:

Athlon 650 (100/133, 110/110) and Duron 1.3 (100/100, 100/133, 110/110) - speed made no difference
K7S5A rev 3.1
128mb Corsair XMS pc150 sdram
Quantum Fireball AS 60gb
Radeon 9000 64mb
Pine (Mitsumi?) CD/RW
350w Codgen (just being thorough)

That's it. The only things running in the background are the ati thing and cacheman. Thx for looking.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Try booting into safe mode and running Scandisk then. It also runs alot faster in Safemode since fewer drivers are loaded in the background.

flyingember

Registered
you haven't finished setting it up and you want to use hardware dependent software? if you're going to install a new os you'll be forced to redefag afterwards anyways. think about it, defragging will stick everything remotely together. win98se is bigger than 98 so it'll put everything at the end. don't bother and do it after the upgrade and everything is setup.

think about it...