• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win98 msconfig equivalent for win2k and XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

I would just like to know how I can get to the startup options in win2k and XP to get rid of unwanted software loading up when the computer boots.

In win 98 I know that I can go to msconfig and select the appropriate options, but I cant find that in win2k or XP

Anyone know how to do this?

Most of the programs come out now days will have options. In the Preferences to Start with windows. Just go inside the programs you don't want starting up. And Tell it not to start with windows. Would be a more advanced way. But the only way I can tell you right now. Ill go search though.

with xp you just type msconfig in the run box at the start menu.
simple as that. :D

for 2k, msconfig was not included, but it can be downloaded.
in fact, i just happen to have a copy. :D

;) .. I was reading somewhere that Msconfig could not be performed with XP. There is a Program calling MsconfigXP for that. But Thanks for the heads up.

looktall said:
maybe it's not available in xp home?
it's certainly there in xp pro.

You could be right. I'm not really sure. I have Xp Pro. But I am currently running Windows 2000 Pro which IMO is the best OS to date. But when this guy was asking the question. I saw that There was a Program called MsconfigXP. So I assumed that XP didn't have the Msconfig command. Well anyway. He has it now and all is good :beer:

I remember when I had Win2000 and Win98 in a dual boot setup, I was able to go in from 2000, type MSCONFIG and use Win98’s program to set it up. I didn’t think they would mix like this, but it did work. Of course it is easier to just install the above-mentioned programs.

Back