• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win98 on 16mb Flash Disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hallen

Interesting approach.

Creates a Ram Disk.

Boots WIN98 from a compressed image on flash disk.

I wonder if that's a better way to run diskless cluster by booting the image from the network.

Embedded-Ware is proud to announce TinyWin 98 Development Suite beta release to the partners. It was never so easy to make fit Windows 98 together with your valuable application into small and reliable flash storage before TinyWin 98 is available. Now we are offering the development suite to our global partners and customers to allow them enjoy the easiness of this task with great flexibility and faster time to market.

TinyWin is a patented technology to greatly reduce footprint of commercial operating systems as well as target application according to your project's needs.

http://www.embedded-ware.com/home.htm

Cy said:
Raises some interesting questions and possibilities for sure. :)

Cy

Cy- I installed Win95 and have it running Seti with a 56mb footprint without any pruning.

win95seti.jpg

Retail 64mb USB Flash drives is $19. with $5. shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=20-181-806&DEPA=0

Now I have to install Win95 OSR2.1 'B' from diskettes.:( to see if that will fit.

The 56mb footprint was OSR1.2 'A' which doesn't have USB support.

Harvey

We had figured out a way to have a cdrom bootable win98 install that used a ram drive to boot into a set application. Would've worked well for seti I guess. Have not messed with it for a long time.

Cy

i just saw this note on slashdot today and thought of these types of clustering projects that some folks here keep trying:

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/05/29/1336229.shtml?tid=106&tid=185

knoppix is a linux distribution that can run from a bootable cd. nice for folks who want to try it out and not mess with re-installing or multi-booting their current os.

anyway, they have recently added support for openmosix, which is a linux extension to run clusters. it supports diskless booting of client machines, so it sounds like all it needs is a seti client. now, IANALE (i am not a linux expert), but it sounds like clusters-made-easy to me.

check it out here. cool screenshots:

http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/

I'm currently working on a diskless setup with 2 2000XP's and win98 on the HD. I have read you cannot boot through a network to a drive running winXP. I just now insstalled Win98 (after days of waiting to get a drive which i picked up a cheap 13.6 this afternoon) and now i'm trying to delete all unnessary files to get the windows install under 90Meg. Currently i'm at 176Meg so i have much work to do. If all goes well then another 2 2000XP's will be added.

Actually using open mosix there's no special seti client required. Since seti is not multi threaded though the way to use it is to open however many clients as you have nodes in the cluster. Mosix will automatically send one client to each node.

Try 98lite... it is a very stable platform for SETI... and lets you chose EXACTLY what you want in your OS

email me if you can't find it on the Web...

Burning Phoenix said:
I'm currently working on a diskless setup with 2 2000XP's and win98 on the HD. I have read you cannot boot through a network to a drive running winXP. I just now insstalled Win98 (after days of waiting to get a drive which i picked up a cheap 13.6 this afternoon) and now i'm trying to delete all unnessary files to get the windows install under 90Meg. Currently i'm at 176Meg so i have much work to do. If all goes well then another 2 2000XP's will be added.

I am building in June... I hope to a least double my output.. probably will triple it though...

I will NOT hold you off however... but will kindly wave as you fly by... :D

Crunch on!!!

Morpheus said:
TC...

so then you lose any gains of the cluster... 1 client per node, yes?
Yes and no. Rather than mosix breaking up the work of a single seti client among the nodes you have to run one client per node; however, you still have the benefit of using cheap diskless systems for the cluster members. Seti doesn't lend itself to running on a cluster in the traditional sense that most people would want to build a cluster for. It does provide another method for running a seti farm cheaply.

Hmm, if you triple it you should be at about the same output I am usually at. I got a boost over the long weekend cause I ran seti on seven 2gig dell machines I had going at work.

It will take me a long time to get to you, don't worry. :p

You can run my customized DC version of Knoppix 3.2 (overclockix) from a CD and plug in a small usb pen drive.

All you'd have to do is first time you boot the CD, go to the "Kstart menu" >KNOPPIX>Create Persistent Home Directory (this would only have to be done once and is very easy)

You move the configs as well as the Seti directory that normally would be in a ramdisk into the usb pen drive. (the mountpoint is usually /mnt/sda1 or possibly /mnt/pen) Then everytime you boot, use this code at the inital prompt:

knoppix home=scan (in addition to any other other ocdes for setting resolution or other X settings)

That will load your custom configs and use the pen drive for crunching your wu's instead of the volatile ramdisk).

When you first enter the desktop environment, this is what you do to start crunching.

Click the taskbar icon of a monitor with a shell next to it in order to bring up a terminal. Type:

foldoff
cfgseti

Enter you user information. That's it. There are several ways to monitor the seti client. See threads about overclockix or just ask and I'll help out.

You could then pack the CD and pen drive wherever you go and resume a wu where you left off from virtually any PC. Overclockix is capable of working entirely without a HDD or pen drive, though work units are crunched in ram so powerloss/reboot would lose the current wu.

hallen said:
P.S. Packing up equipment. Best wishes to LandShark as #2 until Mitch Sako comes roaring through.:)

You're quitting SETI? I noticed you didn't have any WU's submitted today :eek:.

Last edited:
cooldrum3 said:

You're quitting SETI? I noticed you didn't have any WU's submitted today :eek:.
harvey is moving to NY state lately, and he had stopped/shut down his farm too. and from the last i talk to him, he will still be crunching, but in a much smaller scale (like now) as he had achieved pretty much all his goal w/ a final one of being Top1000 User world wide.

i'll be missing you (and the competition w/ u through out all these year, have it been 2yrs already we had been racing each others?!)!! :)

Back