• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIN98(SE) registry question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tithulta

Ok what I'm wanting to do is make my computer read my WIN98 directory when it needs the WIN98 cdrom.

See I copied the WIN98 folder from my cdrom so that all I had to do is point the system to IT, instead of tracking down my cdrom everytime. I read this awhile back somewhere on the web and have no idea now where that was. The article stated that it was possible thru some registry tweaks to tell WINDOWS to look in C:\WIN98 instead of looking for D:\WIN98 when needing the WIN98 cdrom.

Anyone know how to do that? I'm going to try an figure it out otherwise, so I can be truly lazy :D

My situation is a little different from yours, but I think the registry locations you need to tweek ar as follows:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\
Value Name: CommandLine
Value Data: /SrcDir=YOUR PATH /IQ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\
Value Name: OLSSrcPath
Value Data: YOUR PATH

One thing that I do that will save you from having to do the registry tweek & will shorten future install times is to run the setup program straight from the hard drive. Then you won't need the CD to do the install, or modify system components.

Back